December is the season for cherries. You can use cherries in different types of desserts as well as in salads. You can use cherries as frozen, fresh, dried , bottled , canned or even as glazed.
Well matured cherries are bright in colour. When you blend it gives a nice colour to your dish.Wonderfully delicious, cherry fruit is packed with full of health-benefiting nutrients and unique antioxidants.
Cherries are one of the very low calorie fruits. Nonetheless, they are rich source of phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Both sweet as well as tart cherries are packed with numerous health benefiting compounds that are essential for wellness.
Fresh ripe cherries have short shelf life. In the store, choose cherries that have bright, shiny skin with green stalk firmly attached at the top end of the fruit.
Keep fresh cherries in the refrigerator. Whenever you wish to eat them, just rinse cherries in water to remove dirt and to bring them back to room temperature. Then, gently pat dry with soft cloth to remove moisture.
Try this dessert with more sugar if like a very sweet dessert. Can prepare a day before or can freeze for 1-2 months.
- 3 Tblsp Cocoa Powder
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 180ml Canola or any light oil
- 125ml Water
- 225g plain flour
- 100 Caster Sugar
- 5 eggs separated
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 1 Tsp baking soda
For layering the cake
- 800g Cherries
- 500ml whipping cream
- Juice of 1 orange
- 30g Gelatine powder
- 100ml Water
- 200g or 1 cup sugar
- Add water, Cocoa, oil and sugar into a pot and bring to boil. Simmer 1 min and take out.
- Whisk the egg whites with sugar until it reaches the soft peak.
- Next add egg yolks one by one and mix well.
- Sift the flour adding both baking soda and powder.
- Add the cooled chocolate mix to that while mixing.
- Next add flour and pour it to a lamingtons pan.
- Bake on 180c about 20 min or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave on a wire rack to cool.
- Cut the cake in to 2 layers when its cool enough.
- Add gelatine in to water dissolve and melt it.
- Puree cherries with sugar and orange juice.
- Add the gelatine in to it and mix well. Leave in the fridge.
- Whip the cream.
- Add the pureed cherries in to it.
- Mix well.
- Spread the mix over the cake. then leave in fridge to set.
- After put the next cake layer and pour the rest & Spread equally.
- Leave to set in fridge.(Over night is the best)
- Cut to the size you wish.
- Serve with cream or Ice cream.