Coconut is one of very versatile and indispensable food item for millions of inhabitants in South and South-East Asia, and Pacific islands.It is a complete food rich in calories, vitamins, and minerals. A medium-size nut carrying 400 g edible meat and some 30-150 ml of water may provide almost all the daily-required essential minerals, vitamins, and energy of an average-sized individual.They are grown in abundance in India, Sri Lanka, Hawaiian Islands, Polynesia, Philippines, Malaysia, South America, Brazil, Florida and California.
coconut oil is an excellent moisturiser for the skin and is used to treat many skin conditions. Coconut comes in many forms these days. Creamed, powdered, desiccated and flour are some of them.
Recently I read an article about coconut and the uses of it. Its good to use coconut in your food to get the vitamins and minerals and as a good source of fibre. The aroma and the coconut oil is awesome when you cook with it. Still I use a lot of coconut oil, fresh and grated coconut in my cooking.
If you are living overseas you can buy coconut based products in most Sri Lankan and Indian shops.
Ingredients for the recipe
- 250g Rice flour (Roasted)
- 100 Semolina
- 150ml Treacle
- 250g Desiccated Coconut
- A few drops rose water
- A few drops of Vanilla
- 6 Eggs (Separated)
- 250ml Thick coconut milk
- 11/2Tsp Baking Powder.
- 250g Cashew Nuts
- 1/2 Tsp from each ,Cinnamon, Cardamons, cloves, fennel seeds (Ground)
- Preheat the oven to 160c.
- Grease a 12×6 inch cake pan.
- Add desiccated coconut , Coconut milk & treacle in to a pot. Cook and leave to cool down.
- Whisk the egg whites to the soft peak.
- Whisk the yolks with rose water or essence and the spices separately.
- Next add semolina, roasted rice flour , baking powder and cashew nuts to the whipped egg yolks.
- Next add the cooked coconut in to it.
- After mix with the egg whites and transfer to a tray.
- Bake for 1- 11/2 hours or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.