Fish Buns are available all over Sri Lanka. Its a snack any one will grab for breakfast lunch or dinner. Its a very common snack you will find from a street vendor to a 5 star hotel. Mainly a soft dough filled with a mixture of spicy mashed potatoes, fish with tempered onion green chillies, and curry leaves. To get the aroma they add cinnamon, pepper garlic , red chillies and Sri Lankan un roasted curry powder.. Get the recipe from that link.
I tried different ways of making fish buns and I am happy with what I invented. You can get whole meal fish buns from this link…. wholemeal fish buns
When you add spices to the filling add according to your taste.
I uploaded several ways of doing fish buns in my you tube channel. Please try this updated recipe which I improved a lot than my previous recipes.
Ingredients for the recipe………
- 500g Bread flour
- 200-250ml warm water
- 2 Eggs
- 8g Yeast
- 60g Butter
- 25g Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Can Mackerel
- 250g Mashed potatoes
- 1 onion
- Green chillies
- Curry leaves
- Oil for stir frying
- Turmeric powder
- Chilli Powder
- Curry Powder
1 Egg + 1 tblsp water for brush the top of the buns.
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Grease a large tray.
- Add the yeast, Sugar with half of the warm water and leave to activate.
- Add flour, salt, eggs, yeast mix, and then add water little by little and make a smooth dough.
- Kneading should be 15-20 min on speed 2.
- Leave the dough in a warm place to double in size.
- Meanwhile make the filling
- Add oil or margarine to a pot.
- Add garlic, onion , chilli and curry leaves. Fry and add spices, fish and potatoes.
- Add salt to your taste.
- Cook until there is no liquid.
- Leave to cool down.
- When the dough is doubled in size punch down.
- Put the dough on to the bench. Flour your hands and knead several minutes.
- Next cut the dough according to the size you wish.Make balls and leave 10 min on the bench to rest covering with a damp cloth.
- After take the dough ball and make a circle.
- Put the filling in to the middle.
- Cover as shown in the above video.
- Leave on a tray to rest again.
- When the buns are double in size, Brush with eggs.
- Bake 20-30 min.
- leave on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with tomato sauce.