Sri Lankan sour fish or Ambulthiyal is a famous Sri Lankan dish. Old days no way of keeping the fish longer unless they salt them or cook with salt and Garcinia Cambodia (Goraka). It helped to preserve the fish for a longer period.
In southern part of Sri Lanka where there is an abundant supply of fish specially tuna, they used this method a lot. The recipe is being changed a lot now.But its best to stick in to the old method to keep longer.
I have so many memories of my granny who was a good cook. She always say cook anything with a lot of love. Then it taste better.
I uploaded how to make the curry too and get it from this link. Sour fish curry
- 1kg Tuna
- 100g Goraka or Garcinia Cambodia
- 1 1/2 tblsp Salt
- 2 Tblsp Pepper
- 1 Tblsp Roasted chilli powder
- 1 1/2 Tblsp Roasted curry powder
- Add all the ingredients to a grinder and grind to a paste.
- Marinate for ten minutes.
- Lay the fish on a tray or in the pot.
- Cook or bake until dry.