French macarons are decadent almond based treats with a crisp outer shell that melts in your mouth with a flavour in the filling.
When I started my life as a chef I worked with lots of well experienced chef. I learnt to do macaroons from one of them. It was so interesting to make them bundle them and pack them.After I did 1000 macaroons for one of my executive chefs daughters wedding. I love to make them. You can make macaroons in different colours and flavours.
The advantage is you can leave macaroons in fridge for a week or two and freeze them for 3-4 months. They are so handy to have to treat an unexpected guest. All you have to do is to thaw it out side for several minutes.
- 225g Icing Sugar
- 140g Almond Meal
- 110g Egg whites
- 1 tblsp cocoa
For the filling
- 100g Chocolate
- 50g Cream
- Melt the chocolate over simmering water with cream.
- Once melted cool and put in the fridge.
- Add egg whites to a clean mixing bowl.
- Start whisking adding icing sugar .
- Once it holds the shape take out .
- Mix cocoa and almond meal. If you have food processor process it several min. If not pass it through a sieve.
- Add the almond meal little by little and fold it.
- Fill a piping bag with a nozzle.
- Pipe giving pressure to the pan.
- Tap on the table to release the air.
- Leave half an hour to one hour to form a crust. (when you touch it will not come to your fingers)
- Bake on 160c about 20-30 min.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Fill with the prepared chocolate . (Can freeze the excess too)