Rice is the staple food in Asia. You can find many varieties. White is the common type of rice. Red, brown, black and wild are the other varieties. When you want to make the pancakes try to use the starchy rices. It gives the rice batter a bit of texture as well as the creaminess. Medium grain, arborio & sushi rice are some of the starchy varieties.
In Sri Lanka we have a similar kind of pancake cooked in a different pan. It’s called hoppers or Appa in Sri Lankan language.The taste is more similar to these pancakes.
When you make these , If you can use fresh coconut it will taste more nicer. Freshly scraped coconut is creamier and easy to blend. When I use desiccated coconut I always add some water in to it and pop it in the microwave. Then it gives the texture like fresh coconut. For a cup of coconut add about 1/2 cup of water.
When ever you are making these of you find the pancake batter is runny you can always add some plain flour or rice flour to adjust to the right consistency.
- 3 cups rice (arborio, medium grain, sushi rice)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 500 ml water
- 1 cup desiccated coonut
- Salt to your taste.
- Add. All the ingredients in to a blender and blend well.
- Pass it through a sieve if you find ny pieces.
- If you find it runny add some more rice flour or plain flour to get to the right consistency.
- If you can let it rest for few minutes it’s better.
- Put a pan on the stove and spray oil.
- make pancakes.
- Fold as directed in the video.
- serve hot with a curry or chutney or even butter and jam.