My daughter was so Interested in making a Creme caramel and asked me whether I can come up with somethng nice. As I have already uploaded a plain cream caramel I thought I will do a chocolate one. This is one of our family favourite. I find the it’s better and softer in texture when you steam them than baking.
Insead of chocolate you can use other flavours too. It’s better with dark chocolate too.
To try this in the oven you need to leave the tray in a water bath when baking Unless you have the steam bake function in your oven. If you bake it the day before is better as eggs will set well in fridge when resting for longer.
You can make a nice creamy sauce to serve this with by adding some chocolates in to some cream. Melt 100g cooking chocolates or chocolate melts with about 100 ml whipping cream. Serve with this for better creamier taste. Kids will love it with the sauce than its own syrup.
- 500ml Milk
- 5 Eggs
- 75g Brown sugar
- 140g dark chocolate melts
- 1 Tsp Instant coffee
For the caramel
- 100g Brown sugar
- 2 Tblsp Water
- Add sugar in to a pan and add 2 tblsp water. Leave to caramelise. (with out stirring)
- Pour the mixture of sugar to a pudding bowl and leave set.
- Boil the milk. Add the chocolate and coffee and whisk well until chocolate dissolves.
- Whisk the eggs with sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Strain to chocolate and milk mixture.
- Pour in to the pudding tray or bowl.
- If you are baking pour water to baking tray and leave the pudding tray in middle or put the pudding tray in to a pot.
- Steam about 1 hour or bake until sets.
- Leave to cool down completely before cutting. Serve hot or cold.