Biriyani one of the best rice dishes in the world. I call it a one pot meal. So easy to make in the rice cooker. To adjust the recipe to the busy world I thought of doing it in the rice cooker. Its best if you have a non stick one. As this is very rich in flavour I used to do it only for a special occasion. Adding butter or ghee makes this dish more richer. Using eggs makes it a bit simple and easy. If you add marinated meat it give more calories.
Its handy to have all these spices in the pantry. Most of the spices use here have lots of medicinal values. The aroma is all over the house from the start to the end. Eggs should be hard boiled. When you stir make sure to be gentle as it can break so easily.
When I do special rices I all ways try to do with less water. Then it comes out nice and fluffy. The reason why I use a chop stick here is to stir well without giving much pressure to the rice. So there will be no lumpy rice remain when you serve and it helps to mix with all the spices equally.
Instead of eggs you can use meat. The process is very long than with the eggs. Instead of curd always can swap with sour cream, whipping cream natural or Greek style yoghurt. Saffron is the key ingredient for vibrant colour. So beautiful in colour if you can use the natural saffron than artificial colours. Soak several threads in milk before using. You can buy good saffron as threads or as the powder.
Selecting rice for this dish is the other thing. When you buy basmati rice for this ask for the premium long grain good quality rice . The long rice gives a nice look to the dish as well as an aroma.
- 3 Cups Rice
- 41/2 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 Tbsp. raisins
- 3 Tbsp. Cashew
- Green chills cut in lengthways (optional)
- 1 -2 Inches cinnamon
- Several cloves
- Several cardamoms
- 1 Onion sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic and Ginger
- Hand full of mint leaves
- Hand full of coriander leaves
- 1tsp. Garam masala
- 1 Tbsp. Coriander powder
- Saffron powder
- 1 cup curd
- Enough no of boiled Eggs
- All about table spoon full, cumin seeds, coriander powder, chilli powder,, saffron powder
- Add part of the butter in to the rice cooker pan or a pot and Add some cumin seeds.
- Let it splutter and add the spices in the last raw of the ingredients list.
- Fry the spices and add the boiled eggs and stir to coat with the spices. Fry several minutes. Take out on to a plate and leave aside.
- Now add the rest of the butter in to the rice cooker and fry all the spices with cashew and raisins.
- Add the rice and fry the rice to get coated with the spices about 3-4 minutes. After add the water.
- Close the lid. Once cooked , use a chop stick or something similar to stir well.
- After add the eggs stir carefully and close the lid for another 5 minutes.
- Ready to serve with a home made chutney or a pickle.