Fish rolls or Chinese rolls are one of the finger food that available in Sri Lanka. Its so simple to make . The advantage is you can make a larger batch and freeze them for future use. But… remember to thaw completely before frying them. If not that can split in oil. Instead of fish you can add any filling.
This recipe is given by one of my good friend who had a restaurant in Melbourne for long time several years before. She said to me “try this method and you will be amazed to get the results”. Actually it is true. The batter is so silky. Leaving the batter after adding butter in fridge for several hours or overnight it gives this miracle texture to the pancakes. Its really hard to find people who gives the correct recipes. She said ” I don’t want to keep it to my self” “I like what you are doing, Give them this recipe too” I am really proud to have a friend like that who has the same wish as me.
When you buy fish rolls you have no idea whats in it and how they made it. Try these simple method and you can get 25 rolls out from this. (It depends on the pan you are doing the pancakes). When we buy food we know that we are spending too much money on labour than the food it self. Your children will love to have something like this in their lunch boxes once in a while. I know most of the kids refuses vegetables. Grate everything and stir fry with the filling. because of the crunchy and tasty out side they will eat anything in it. I did that most of the time for my kids.
If you like this in the oven than deep frying add a bit more butter (Doubling the amount of butter in the batter) in to it. The other way is crumbing the rolls with panko crumbs and spraying oil well before baking. Don’t expect the same results as frying anyway. But it is much healthier.
For the batter
- 450g Flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Turmeric powder
- 3 Eggs
- 450ml water
- 50g butter melted
For the filling
- 4 Boiled potatoes mashed
- 2 cans mackerel
- 1/2 of an onion
- 1 tsp Curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Curry leaves
- Green Chillies (optional)
- Pepper & Salt
- Oil for stir frying
For the covering
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups water
- Pinch turmeric powder
For the coating
- Bread crumbs
Oil for frying
- Add flour, water, eggs, salt, turmeric powder and mix well. If it is thick add more water and make it to thin batter. ( Just like the pancake batter)
- After add the melted butter and mix well. Leave to rest several hours in fridge.(or leave overnight)
- Meanwhile make the filling by adding some oil in to a pan. Fry the onion, garlic curry leaves and all the spices.
- Next add the mackerel and fry well.
- Take out and add mashed potato and leave to cool down.
- Make the thin batter for coating by adding the flour, enough water, turmeric and salt. Leave aside.
- Put the bread crumbs in to a plate so you can roll the rolls well.
- Make the pan cake after seasoning the pan.
- Put the filling in the middle and roll as directed in the video.
- Dip in the second thin batter and coat with bread crumbs.
- Make all before start frying.
- Put oil to heat and fry the rolls until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with tomato sauce or chilli sauce.