Egg plant moju or pickle is very famous in Sri Lanka as a special dish. Normally its made for a special lunch or dinner. It can be kept for weeks in an air tight container.
The other special thing about this is can be done several days before you want it. So it tastes nicer that way too. All the spices and aroma goes through each piece and gives a nice flavour. Soaking egg plants in salt and turmeric water add colour and also removes water absorbing salt in to it. Once squeezed its so easy to fry and it takes very less time. Fry the egg plants until golden brown.
When you want to store these make sure to use clean jars always.
Different people make this dish in different ways. I learnt this from a friend of mine when I was about 18 years old. Still I do it in her way as it tastes so nicer than what I have eaten any where else.
When you buy egg plants try to buy well matured ones so that when you fry it remains steady.
- 500g Egg plants
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 Onion sliced
- Green chillies
- Ginger 1 inch
- Curry leaves
- Pandan leaves
- 1 table spoon mustard seeds
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Curry powder
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- Oil for frying
- Cut egg plants in length ways and put in salty water with some turmeric powder.
- Squeeze the water out and put in to a bowl.
- Add oil in to a pan and add onion, chillies , curry leaves and Pandan leaves and cardamom and cloves. Fry and take out.
- Next fry the egg plants until golden brown.
- Into a mixer add spice powders, ginger, garlic, salt& mustard seeds, sugar and add vinegar in to it.
- Put the mix in to a pot and simmer it 5 min and put egg plants and the fried onions.
- Cook on a low heat about 3 minutes.
- Store in an air tight container.