Rainbow sandwich is one of the Sri Lankan delights. Its so easy and simple to make when you prep everything the day before. I like to use one day old sandwich bread for this as its so steady than fresh bread and also it absorb all the liquids of the mix with out being soggy.
Normally most use mashed potato with green colouring for this recipe. I prefer lettuce. But mashed potatoes are nicer with this too.
To cheat the kids who hates veggies this is a good option. The colours attract them as a butterfly attracts the colours of the flour. Do a big plate full for a kids birthday party. It will disappear in minutes. I used to do this for special afternoon teas and for functions. None left at all. Trust me its so colourful and tasty.
You can cut the ends of the bread or can leave them too.I believe that simple things always make the life easy going. the more a recipe becomes complicated its more stress. 🙂
- 3 slices of bread
- Boiled and mashed beetroot
- Boiled and mashed carrots
- Finely chopped or slices iceberg lettuce
- Butter softened
- Salt and pepper
- Mustard cream or Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
- Boil carrot and beetroot separately and mash.
- Then add salt and pepper to both with mustard and lemon juice.
- You can add melted butter get more flavour.
- Next cut lettuce.
- Butter bread.
- Spread paste and cover.
- Cut in to 4 corners.
- Leave in fridge until you are ready to serve.