This recipe was given by one of my good friends. When I was reading the recipe ingredients I did a huge mistake. I never thought that this recipe will be a huge success. Instead of 610g I have said 110g. My apologies for the mistake.
Please use 610g bread flour for the dough.
This bread is a very soft Asian bakery style bread. If you follow all the steps its so easy to make. Can do several adjustments. If you don’t like sweet bread you can always adjust the sugar level up to 20g. Nothing will happen to the bread. If you cant find or dislike milk powder add 50g flour instead of milk powder. Changing that step will do no harm to the recipe.
If you have plenty of time for baking reduce the yeast to 12grams. Instead of whipping cream add melted butter. Even if you have an allergy to milk or lactose free add water instead of milk. The bread still comes the same way as in the picture.
When making bread all you want to be is patient. Kneading is the other major thing in bread making. Even if you hand knead or even use a machine the process have to be rhythmic and about 20 minutes at least with out stopping. So that way the bread becomes soft and fluffy.
Making the roux is the other major thing. There few different ways of doing it. The correct way is adding water and flour in to a pot. Stir well and cook on the stove until thick. The other way is adding boiling water to the flour and mix well. before I used to leave the roux covered and in fridge. Now I add it after an hour. Both ways it does the same job.
Please try different alterations and make your own with different flavours. Try adding a banana or coconut for a variation.
This stays 3 days out or you can freeze for future use.
Home made Milk Bread (Very Soft & Easy)
- 610g Bread flour
- 120 g Sugar
- 20g Yeast
- 50 g Milk Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 100g whipping cream
- 6g Salt
For the roux
- 1 cup of water.
- 1/3 cup Bread Flour
- Make the roux. Add four to the water and cook several minutes until it becomes thick.
- Leave it to cool.
- Add all the ingredients in to the mixing bowl except milk.
- Add the prepared roux in to that.
- Start kneading adding milk little by little.
- Knead the dough for 15 minutes.
- After kneading cover it with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place to double in size.
- Punch down the dough and cut in to 6 equal size pieces.
- Then spread the dough take one corner to the other and overlap it.
- Reapeat the same process.
- Then roll it from one corner to the other.
- Then put them on a prepared loaf pan to prove till double in size.
- When it is double in size egg wash.
- Bake on 180 about 30 -40 min.