I am writing this for 100s of messages I got, requesting this cake. It is really hard to get the correct recipe from someone who knows it as they are keeping the secrets to them selves. So I thought of unveiling the secrets of this recipe. So I have to expect more dislikes on my video. I really don’t worry about that at all. Hah ha……Special thanks to my beautiful friend Shehani who gave me so many instructions to do this exactly correct.
Sri Lankan wedding cake is a very rich cake. This can be done for Christmas as a Christmas cake too. The secret of the taste is the maturing process. You can do this without maturing the cake for months too. But the beautiful colours and rich taste comes from the correct process.
If you want to start your own business try doing this. Even you can do it for your own wedding and can save a lot of money. All you need is to start it as early as possible and get the help from friends and the family.
So now I am going to describe all the the things that you need to know. So read carefully to get it right. First you need to cut the fruits very finely and need to mature several months. make sure to doit right with out mixing any water. Rose essence is very strong. So when you add it make sure to add several teaspoons only. But the rose water and flavour is not very strong. So you can add up to a wine glass. Instead of brandy you can add sweet sherry or even rum. But brandy add the strong flavour to the wedding cake. And it helps to preserve it for a longer time.
When Baking it takes a longer time. Depending on how thick your cake is. So always keep an eye on it after 2 hours of baking. If you don’t have a large tray like the one I am using Use several trays. I only did a small amount of icing just to show you how to do it. I have done cashew pate in one video before. Click on the link and get it. You can multiply the icing to the amount you wish. I did that for about 500g piece of cake. This whole cake weighs 6.2 kilograms. So you need to multiply it in 14. You can cut more than 150 pieces. Always depends on the size of the cake. Enjoy baking. Don’t forget to leave a feed back after you try.
This recipe is 100% guaranteed.
For the first part
- 400g Currants
- 400g Pumpkin preserve
- 400g Sultana
- 400g Raisins
- 250g Cashew
- 1 bottle preserved Ginger
- 1 bottle preserved chow chow
- 1 bottle preserved Pumpkin
- 1 bottle preserved candid peel
- 1 wine glass full brandy
- Rose essence or rose water
- 1 tbsp.. All spice
- 1 wine glass full bees honey
For the second part
- 10 egg whites
- 20 Egg yolks
- 500g Butter
- 250g Semolina
- 250g Caster sugar
- 250g icing sugar
- Golden syrup
- The matured fruit mix done before
For the almond paste…
- 100g Cashew finely ground
- 100g icing sugar
- Sugar syrup
- 1/4 tsp almond essence
- 1/4 tsp rose water
- Cut all the fruits and nuts very finely.
- Add brandy in to the fruit.
- Add all the syrup from the preserved fruits.
- Next add vanilla and rose water with the spices.
- After add the bees honey and stir well.
- Close tightly and leave in a dark place about 3 months.
- Beat the egg white with half of the caster sugar until the soft peak.
- Add e table spoon full butter in to the semolina and dry Roast the semolina until golden brown.
- Add butter and left over sugar with the confectionary sugar and whisk until creamy.
- Add egg yolks one by one and whisk until pale in colour.
- Add egg mix in to the fruit mix.
- Next add the semolina and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 130c.
- Prepare a large cake pan with several layers of baking paper.
- Pour the mix in.
- Bake about 3-4 hours.
- Leave to cool completely in the tray.
- Prick the cake & Pour about 1/4 cup of brandy over the cake.
- At this point if you like to break at once break and put in to a container.
- Cover well. And leave to mature. If you like wet the cake once a month with brandy.
- Break the cake or slice the cake to the desired size pieces.
- Press on to the prepared tray.
- Add the cashew meal and icing sugar, syrup and almond and rose essence in to a mix well.
- Keep on kneading until all combines.
- After add some icing sugar on to the bench and knead well. And using a rolling pin roll the paste thin as you can.
- Sprinkle some cashew meal on top of the cake.
- After put it on the pressed cake.
- Cut to the size you wish.
- Wrap in oil paper and next in cellophane.
- Ready to serve. Can keep about year or more.