Making vanilla custard slice is really simple and easy. its only three main steps. Baking the pastry , making the custard and spreading the icing. Most of us think that its a really difficult in making this slice. When you beak the steps in to 3 main you can realise how easy this slice is.
You can double the amount of custard if you like your slice very high and thick. If you like it with out gelatine try adding 1/2 cup of corn flour in to the mix. It will thicken the custard just like the gelatine.
You can always omit the last step if you don’t like to consume lot of sugar. Just sprinkle some icing sugar on top.
I really like the vanilla slice. I always like to have two. Such a nice delicate sweet for a special function or for an afternoon tea.
- 800ml Milk
- 80g Custard Powder
- 240ml Whipping/ thickened cream
- 130g Sugar
- 15-20g Gelatine powder
- 80ml water
- 2 pastry sheets
- 1 egg for brushing the pastry.
- 60ml passionfruit pulp
- 250g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 220c.
- Brush the pastry sheets with eggs.
- Bake for 8-10min until golden brown & leave to cool.
- Add Milk , sugar and cream into a pot and whisk well.
- After add the custard powder and vanilla and whisk until no lumps.
- Put it on the stove and cook until it thickens.
- Dissolve the gelatine in the water and microwave until gelatine melts.
- Add the gelatine in to the custard and whisk well.
- Lay the pastry on a tray.
- Pour the custard over.
- Cover with the other pastry.
- Leave in fridge over night.
- The next day whisk icing adding passion fruit pulp spoon by spoon.
- When it comes to a spreadable consistency spread it on and sprinkle some icing on top.
- Leave in fridge to set.
- Cut in to slices as you wish.