Curry buns are simple to make. The texture of these buns are very soft. The tangzhong makes the buns very soft. Even if you keep them several days in fridge it will not go hard.The belief of the tangzhong is to keep the roux in fridge more than 12 hours in fridge. I always use it even while it is warm. It works like a magic.
In here I use eggs for the brushing by a mistake. As I am always using the egg mix I automatically did it. If you are a vegetarian try using milk or cream. Vegans can adjust this by omitting butter and adding coconut oil. i will do fully vegan soon.
When you cook the vegetables make sure to cook it until no liquid. This way it keep the buns well seal and no liquid comes out. I will share a tip here. When you want to make the curries dry try adding a table spoon or two plain flour to the curry at last. cook a minute stirring. It will thicken the curry quickly.
When you make the curry you don’t need to stick on to the same vegetables. You can use what ever you have in fridge. My curry is a bit Sri Lankan 😀😀. The coconut milk gives a nice creaminess to the curry. That way when you have a bite of the bun you will feel the taste of a creamy coconut in the curry.
For the Curry
- 1 large potato diced
- 2 Carrots diced
- Half of a cabbage
- 1 leek sliced
- Several curry leaves (optional)
- Pandan leaves (Optional)
- 2 inch cinnamon
- Sliced whole onion
- Several green chillies (optional)
- Several garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 Tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
For the Tangzhong
- 100g Bread flour
- 150ml cold water
For the Buns
- 500 g Bread flour
- 10g Instant dry yeast
- 1tsp Sugar
- 5g Salt
- 150ml water
- 40g Softened Butter
- The roux (Tangzhong)
- Add oil in to a pan.
- When the oil is hot add curry leaves, Pandan leaves, cinnamon, onion and the garlic. Fry two minutes in oil to get the aroma release..
- After ad all the veggies except the leeks and sauté it several minutes.
- Add all the spices with the stock.
- Add leeks next and cook several minutes.
- Lastly add the coconut milk and cook on a low heat until no liquid. (Read description to get the tips)
- Leave the curry to cool down.
- Make the tangzhong by adding 100 flour and 150ml cold water in a pot. Mix well & Cook until thick. Leave to cool.
- Add the bread flour, salt sugar yeast, and butter mix well.
- While mixing add water.& make sure to add little by little.
- Let it knead and rise in the machine or Knead well and leave in a warm place to double in size.
- Take the dough when ready and punch down and knead on a benchtop.
- After roll the dough and cut the dough in to equal size pieces.
- Roll each piece and leave to on the bench ten minutes to rest.
- Roll the each pieces in to a circle and put the filling in the middle. Seal ends well.
- Leave on a baking tray to double in size.
- When it is doubled brush with eggs or milk and bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.