I always copy cat food. When I go a cafe I always try to taste different styles of sweets. This style of slice I recently had in a cafe in Melbourne. It was $9.50. But make the whole slice that can cut in to 20 of the same size I had cost from $10-$15 when you make them at home. To tell you honestly it is 99% closer to the slice I had.
I reduced the level of sugar in my recipe. If are a sweet lover you can always increase the amount of sugar. But I think this is taste enough sugary as I shared with several friends .They loved it a lot. There comment was that it has enough sugar.
The other special thing about this slice is that you can freeze this too. I always freeze in snack bags. So when you want you can thaw them and have a coffee. You can leave in fridge about a week.
- 450g Plain flour
- 150g Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 150g Sugar
- 21 tsp Vanilla
- 40ml Honey
- 1 Tsp Baking soda
For the Filling (Pudding)
- 950ml Milk
- 200 g Sugar
- 120g Plain Flour
- 200 g Butter
- 80g Corn Flour
- Salted caramel Essence
- Add the honey, sugar an butter in to a mixing bowl. Whisk it until pale in colour.
- After add the eggs one by one and whisk well.
- Next add the soda and the flours and keep on mixing untiil it comes to a consistency that you can roll.
- After put it on a baking paper and roll thi. You can use one large tray to bake at once or two small trays.
- Bake about 15-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Cut ends. You need to have two layers.
- Add flours , sugar and mix well with adding milk until no lumps. Add vanilla or salted caramel.
- Cook until it thickens and cool completely.
- After put the base honey cake layer and put the pudding and spread evenly.
- After put the other layer and press gently.
- Leave in fridge overnight.
- Cut ends and cut in to bars.
- Enjoy with a coffee or serve as a snack or as a dessert.