Lotus roots are very yummy vegetarian curry when you cook it right. I used to have it all the time as a kid too. According to my grand mother it helps to cool down your body. When buying lotus root make sure to buy the fresh and both side sealed ones. If its open it will contain mud. The other thing is when its expose to the air it can go brown too.
This recipe will serve 4-6 people. This is 250 g lotus root.
- Cut both ends , peel the lotus root and cut in to slices. Wash thoroughly to remove excess mud.
- Prepare the ingredients. 1 table spoon full Maldive fish flakes (Optional) , Curry leaves and rampe, and 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds.
- Other than that 1 onion finely sliced with few cloves of garlic and green chillies.
- 1 tsp raw curry powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. and a 1/4 tsp chilli powder. (Do not add lots of chilli powder. You can totally omit chilli powder and add more green chillies.)
- After cooking need to temper. For that 1 tea spoon full mustard seeds, several cloves of garlic, onion finely sliced, several dried red chillies chopped and curry leaves and pandan leaves.
- Add the lotus root in to a pot and add water or second coconut milk to cover. After add the prepared ingredients except the one with mustard seeds.
- Cook it about 20 minutes and check and add about 1 cup thick coconut milk.
- Cook it with coconut milk until the gravy is slightly thick.
In a another pot add about a table spoon oil. I used coconut oil here. Add the tempering ingredients.
Fry the ingredients in to the hot lotus root curry mix and finish off. Serve with plain rice.