Baking is an art. I am addicted to it. If I haven’t done at least one baking for a day I am not happy. One Sunday morning I thought of doing this recipe as I got many requests too. This tart was hit. The most important thing when you do a pie or a tart is to do a very thin and light crust. If the crust is heavy and floury you loose the taste of the filling. This crust is so light and thin so you can enjoy this savoury tart to the end.
The other thing that you need to remember when doing a tart or a pie crust is leaving in fridge to rest. If you are living in a warmer climate make sure to leave the tart at least 30 minutes to rest in fridge. It was winter and I did it at once.
The filling for this always can change according to your taste. Swiss chard, rappa, silver beet, beet root leaves or even kale are some of the leaves you can use instead of spinach.
Baked Potatoes are really simple to bake & makes a nice one pot meal for cold winter night or even for a hot summer day. Once baked it has a crispy skin and a soft and fluffy inside. Keep the potatoes warm until ready to serve.
This recipe will serve 4 people. Get 8 medium potatoes wash clean and dry them well. Then cut a slit in the middle as shown in the picture. After spray oil or brush oil and sprinkle some salt and bake on 250 c until well cooked.
Meanwhile wash and cut about a 1/4 of a small cabbage, grate a larger carrot, and finely slice an onion.
Cut several sprigs of parsley , and get enough salt to taste, pepper and some lemon juice. Add all the ingredient in to a bowl.
Mix all together. Add the salt pepper and lemon juice. Add a tablespoon or two sour cream. If you like mayonnaise instead of sour cream feel free to add some.
Take the potatoes out . If not a vegetarian add some bacon for more flavours.
Open the potatoes squeezing the potatoes well as shown in the picture.
Top the coleslaw on potatoes. serve with extra sour cream.
One day I thought of making the chicken breasts a bit different with some flavour. I used to steam or stir fry always and I was bored eating the same always. So I made these baked chicken breasts with a cream cheese filling. It gave a lot of flavour to the chicken breasts and also it prevent drying out when baking. Try this recipe for a change.
As I always all the meals should be very simple but tasty. You can serve this as a nice side dish or even part of a roast. All you want is some simple ingredients that you use in your day today life.
Make sure to preheat the oven to 200c – 250c to get best results.
Doughnuts are always kids special. As mums we worry a lot giving fried food to the kids .Try this baked doughnut recipe and you will be amazed to see the results. They are better than the shop bought ones in shape, look and also the taste. You can do a larger batch and leave in freezer for future use. If you can cut them in to smaller circles that will be the best.
Adding sugar is the next thing. If you like it more or less you can always adjust it according to the taste.
When you want to check your yeast this method is the best. I am a continuous user of my yeast. If you are not baking bread always needs to check the yeast this way. When you add water to the dough make sure to add less as the egg and the water in yeast is there too.
- 350g Bread flour
- 9g Instant dry yeast
- 1tblsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsps. Warm water
- 1 Egg
- 100g Sugar
- 5g Salt
- 100ml Milk
- 30g Softened Butter
- Add the sugar warm water and yeast in to a mixing bowl and leave five minutes to activate.(Read the description.)
- Add the bread flour, salt sugar yeast, and mix well.
- While mixing add egg and milk. When you add milk make sure to add little by little.
- Knead well and leave in a warm place to double in size.
- Take the dough when ready and punch down and knead on a benchtop.
- After roll the dough and cut the doughnuts.
- Leave on a baking tray to double in size.
- When it is doubled brush with milk and bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolates according to the packet instructions . Dip the doughnuts in chocolate, leave on a wire rack to set.
- Can freeze for several months too.
Tapioca or sago is very popular in Asian countries as well as in other countries. Tapioca can be cooked in many ways. Baked sago or tapioca taste much better and you will not believe that its made of sago when you start eating.
Tapioca is a starch extracted from cassava (Manioc) root. It is gluten free and so its becoming more popular. To get tapioca powder they squeeze the liquid out and make it to a powder. Its available as tapioca flour good for baking too. Its used as thickener for soups as it has a neutral flavour.
When you do this make sure to soak the pearls before 1 hour at least. If you are using the very large pearls needs over night soaking. instead using liquor in this recipe you can totally omit it or can use a kind of fruit juice instead. Try doing this in different ways adding fresh fruits instead of dry or instead of milk add coconut milk. When I was doing the video I have done wrong with the number of eggs. It is 2 egg yolks and 3 eggs. I mistakenly added the yolk in to it. So sorry. Things happen hah ha….
I made this and I hd one after the video. Its so good. I wanted a second one next day. Nothing was there when I came home after wrk. All gone. This a simple dessert that you can make to please a crowd. Its so cheap to make too. The advantage is you can do it the day before and serve cold too.
- 700 ml Milk
- 70g Raisins
- 70 ml Rum/ Brandy or Apple juice
- 140g Tapioca pearls
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Egg yolks
- 200g Sugar
- 100g Custard powder
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 50g Butter
- Preheat oven to 180c .
- Soak Tapioca /sago pearls one hour before making.
- Drain well.
- Boil Milk in a pot.
- Add Tapioca peals in to it and stir it until it plumps up.
- Meanwhile add egg yolks and eggs in to a mixing bowl and whisk well.
- Add custard powder and vanilla in to it and whisk well about 2 minutes.
- Add rum and raisins in to the cooked tapioca (make sure to leave half of the raisins for decoration) and stir well.
- After add the prepared egg mix in to the cooked tapioca or sago mix and stir well.
- Cook it again while stirring.
- When it starts thickening take out and pour in to prepared individual moulds or a tray.
- Put the moulds in a water bath and bake about 20-30 min.
- Serve hot or leave in fridge to serve cold.
- Pouring cream or ice cream goes well with this dessert.