Lemons and limes are in season. I got this recipe from a workmate to try and I am sharing it with you all too. If you have tree full of lemon or lemons going cheap in the market try using them in a recipe like this.
I did a very small loaf and you can multiply it to a the size you like. You can freeze this cake with out a problem. To freeze use individual bags to store. So thawing becomes easy.
- 95g Self Raising Flour
- 110g Sugar
- 1 Egg
- Rind of one lemon
- 90ml Milk
- 30 ml Oil
- 1/2Tsp lemon juice for the loaf.
Ingredients for the Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 50g Sugar
- Add sugar and the egg in to a mixing bowl and mix until creamy.
- Next add lemon rind, milk and the flour.
- Add a tsp lemon juice and mix well.
- After pour the mixture in to the loaf pan and bake 30 minutes on 180C about 20-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Meanwhile do the syrup by adding sugar and lemon juice together. Bring to boil and leave on the lowest heat or switch off the stove.
- When the cake is out poke the cake and pour the hot syrup on to it and leave in the tray to cool down.
This is a real easy and a simple cake. This a vegetarian and a vegan recipe. I used almond milk for this recipe. You can use any milk for this. Adding mixed nuts to this cake will give a nice and taste to the cake. Make sure to grind them coarsely.
All you need to do is to mix all the ingredients together to make the batter and bake it. The temperature may vary from oven to oven. make sure to insert a skewer to see the cake done.
- 200ml milk (Almond or rice milk)
- 75g Sugar
- 80g plain flour
- 50g Nuts
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1/4 Tsp Baking powder
- 50g Strawberry jam Melted
- Into a mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix well.
- After add the melted strawberry jam and milk little by little and make a batter with out lumps.
- Put it in to a baking pan. (I used a 6×3 inch round pan..)
- Pour the mix in and bake on 180c about 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
These beautiful Chinese cakes are very similar to the sponge cakes we had in Sri Lanka when were kids. So I thought of trying this to renew my memories.
This cake a very spongy very less oil cake. I added less sugar. If you like this to be very sweet add up to 125g sugar. When you beat the eggs make sure to continue at once until it reaches the ribbon stage. After using a spatula fold it well.
Few main tips to follow.
- When you do this make sure to whip well.
- After leave the cupcakes 10 minutes out before putting in oven. If you like a very high sponge use self raising flour or 1/2 tsp baking powder.
If you like you can do a nice icing too.
- 4 Eggs
- 90g Plain flour
- 35 g Corn flour
- 75-100gg sugar
- 10ml oil
- Add eggs in to a mixing bowl. Add sugar little by little while whisking. Add a table spoon boiling water in to the egg mix and keep on mixing until it reaches the ribbon stage.
- After sift the flour in to it and fold in to the egg mix with the oil.
- Fill the patty pans and bake on 180C about 10-15 min.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Japanese cotton cheese cake is very soft and light like cotton. Its so spongy and something to look for. It has a kind of tangy flavour with a texture of a soufflé.
These cakes are very expensive to buy due to the labour charges . But if you do it by your self it will be the best cheese cake ever for a cheaper price too.. This cheese cake is completely different form the western cheese cakes.
When you work with egg whites make sure to beat until it holds the shape or the soft peak only. If you beat longer it goes stiff and make harder to mix and the whole cake will go wrong. Adding cream of tartar in to egg whites helps to stabilise the egg whites. If you have no cream of tartar don’t worry or replace it with a drop of vinegar. Vinegar gives the same effect as the cream of tartar.
The other steps are so easy and simple. You can use potato flour instead of corn flour too.
- 150g Caster sugar
- 6 Egg yolks
- 6 Egg whites
- Pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- Pinch Cream of tartar (optional)
- 100ml Milk
- 20g Corn Flour
- 60g Plain Flour
- 50g Butter
- 250g Cream cheese
- Prepare a baking tray (23cm x12cm)
- Put water in to a pot.
- Put a Pyrex or even a stainless steel bowl on it.
Add cream cheese and butter with the milk and leave to simmer. Make sure to whisk. Take out and leave aside.
- Whisk the egg whites adding sugar and cream of tartar bit by bit until it comes to a soft peak. If you don’t have any cream of tartar omit that.
- In to the melted cream cheese mix add the egg yolks and mix well. Then sift the flours in to it.
- Mix folding the flours and lemon juice with the cream cheese mix.
- After add the mixed cheese mix in several batches to the egg whites and fold well as described in the video.
- Pour the mixture in to well prepared baking pan and bake on 200c about 10 minutes and reduce the temperature to 135c and bake until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Cool in tray 5 minutes and cool on a wire rack after taking out.
Marbled cakes can be done in different ways. This is the simplest marble cake. This is actually a loaf cake that you can try with more butter if you wish. This comes so nice and soft too. The nice golden colour and the long split says so much about this cake. If you wish to do a small one you can always half this recipe with out a problem. If you don’t mind the size I made freeze the rest to take out when you feel like something to go with your coffee.
Adding the amount of cocoa can be done with a small amount too. With out cocoa you can always add a colour. There are so many options with your own creativity level.
Instead of using self raising flour and corn flour together you and add both together to use corn flour. Adding a baking paper to the tray is for easy release. But if you have a good quality non-stick loaf pan try using with out any baking paper.
- 4 Eggs
- 225g Butter
- 30g Cocoa
- 2 Tsp. vanilla
- 200g Sugar
- 400g Self raising flour
- 50g Corn Flour
- 160ml Milk
- Prepare a 12×4 inch loaf pan.
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Add softened butter , sugar and vanilla in to a mixing bowl and start mixing it until nice and creamy.
- When it is nice and pale in colour add eggs one by one and whisk well.
- Next lower the speed & add the flour little by little until its well combined.
- Lastly add the milk and whisk well.
- After mixing take 2/3 of the mix out and leave the other 1/3 of the mix in the mixing bowl.
- Add the sifted cocoa in to the 1/3 in the mixing bowl. Whisk well. If you find it dry you can always add a bit of milk to make it nice and smooth.
- Put the dollop of the vanilla mix here and there and do the same with the cocoa mix.
- To get the marbled effect use a fork to mix. But do not over mix.
- Bake on a preheated oven until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Suitable for freezing too.
Avocados are always expensive. Instead always having a guacamole or in your sandwich or salad give it a different look and a taste. When avocados are in season or when you have over ripped avocados try this beautiful recipe. Its so easy to make and works like a charm. Even one avocado will do.
When you scoop the avocados make sure to add the green part . That gives this cake a unique colour.
Avocados are rich in lots of nutrients.It has lots of vitamin C, Believed to be good for the heart, good to maintain a healthy appetite, strong antioxidant level , lots of vitamin E and fibre. Thats some of them.
If you do not have polenta, don’t worry omit and add a bit more flour to that amount.
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 20g Corn Flour
- 120g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Well ripped Avocado
- 50g Polenta
- Pinch of Salt
- 150g Softened Butter
- Pinch of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 100ml Milk
- Add butter and sugar in to a mixing bowl and mix until creamy.
- Add Eggs one by one and keep on mixing another few minutes.
- After add the vanilla in to the eggs and mix well.
- Scoop the avocado in to the eggs and butter mix and mix well.
- Mix bicarbonate of soda and baking powder in to the flour and sift once
- Add polenta next to the mixing bowl and while mixing add flour and mix well.
- Pour the mix into a prepared greased loaf pan.
- Bake on 180c about 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
This slice once brought to work by a Croatian colleague and it was a hit. So after appreciation I got this beautiful recipe that will take you to another world. its so easy and simple no bake recipe. take only few minutes to assemble.
There are several advantage of this recipe. Can make a big batch and freeze in zip lock bags for future use. Few easy steps to follow. As its a no bake recipe saves your time. From these large wafers and do nearly 50-80 large pieces.
If you cant find the larger wafer sheets try using the ice cream wafers. Then you do not need to cut at all and it will look nice too.
Instead of using almond or pistachio try using walnuts as Croatians do. I am not a fan of walnuts. So I did it differently. Instead of adding butter add a bit more chocolate.
- 1 Packet Wafers
- 1 can Condensed Milk
- 250g Almond Meal
- 150g Crushed Pistachio
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. Brandy
- 350g Chocolate
- 250g Butter
- Add chocolate, condensed Milk, Butter and vanilla in to a pot. Heat the mix until butter and chocolate melts.
- After add more vanilla and the brandy. Stir well.
- Add the pistachios and the almond meal. Mix well.
- Lay one wafer slices on a tray.
- Put the mix on it and spread evenly.
- Continue layering as you wish.
- Put a weight on top. Lave one hour to press. After put it in fridge over night.
- Cut according to the way or the size as you wish.
Chocolate Velvet Cake
- 125 g Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Cups Plain flour
- 1 tsp Bi carb
- 1/2 cup Water
- 160g Thickened Cream
- 1/2 of a Lemon
- 60g Cocoa Powder
For the Chocolate Glaze
- 120g Chocolate melts or cooking chocolate
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1/2 Cup icing sugar
- 65 g Butter
- Prepare a 9X12 inch tray.
- Preheat your oven to 180.
- Beat the sugars and Butter.
- Add eggs and cocoa powder.
- While mixing add the cream and the water
- And scrape down the sides of the bowl while mixing.
- Next add flour and baking soda.
- Mix it well. But make sure you donot over mix.
- Spread on the prepared tray.
- Bake 40-50 min untill the skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Then on a pot of simmering water , In a bowl mix all the ingredients for the glaze.
- Melt and leave to cool 10 min. Then put in the fridge for 20 min until comes to a thick consistency.
- Spread on the cake.
- 4 Eggs Separated
- 175g Raw / light brown sugar
- 115g Butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Several drops of vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 110g Plain Flour
- 2 Tablespoon corn flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- In to a mixing bowl add the egg yolks, Melted butter, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- After add corn flour, cocoa, and plain flour and continue mixing for another minute.
- Next add the milk and mix well. Leave it aside.
- Add the egg whites in to a separate bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites until it comes to the soft peak.
- Slowly fold the whipped egg whites in to the prepared batter.
- Pour the mix in to a prepared tray.
- Mix it well in the tray.
- Bake on 170C about 40-50 minutes. Or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in the tray.