Semolina & coconut is a very good combination for a soft and a moist cake. This recipe was asked by a subscriber. This is a syrup cake. I didn’t add the syrup finally. This cake was a hit when I served it for some visitors. Goes well with a cup of plain tea or milk tea.
I made a very small cake. But it rises a lot. So if you want to make a larger one please make sure to use a larger tray. If you like to serve as a dessert use the sugar syrup too. This can be served with whipping cream or even hot or cold custard.
These beautiful Chinese cakes are very similar to the sponge cakes we had in Sri Lanka when were kids. So I thought of trying this to renew my memories.
This cake a very spongy very less oil cake. I added less sugar. If you like this to be very sweet add up to 125g sugar. When you beat the eggs make sure to continue at once until it reaches the ribbon stage. After using a spatula fold it well.
Few main tips to follow.
- When you do this make sure to whip well.
- After leave the cupcakes 10 minutes out before putting in oven. If you like a very high sponge use self raising flour or 1/2 tsp baking powder.
If you like you can do a nice icing too.
- 4 Eggs
- 90g Plain flour
- 35 g Corn flour
- 75-100gg sugar
- 10ml oil
- Add eggs in to a mixing bowl. Add sugar little by little while whisking. Add a table spoon boiling water in to the egg mix and keep on mixing until it reaches the ribbon stage.
- After sift the flour in to it and fold in to the egg mix with the oil.
- Fill the patty pans and bake on 180C about 10-15 min.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Avocados are always expensive. Instead always having a guacamole or in your sandwich or salad give it a different look and a taste. When avocados are in season or when you have over ripped avocados try this beautiful recipe. Its so easy to make and works like a charm. Even one avocado will do.
When you scoop the avocados make sure to add the green part . That gives this cake a unique colour.
Avocados are rich in lots of nutrients.It has lots of vitamin C, Believed to be good for the heart, good to maintain a healthy appetite, strong antioxidant level , lots of vitamin E and fibre. Thats some of them.
If you do not have polenta, don’t worry omit and add a bit more flour to that amount.
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 20g Corn Flour
- 120g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Well ripped Avocado
- 50g Polenta
- Pinch of Salt
- 150g Softened Butter
- Pinch of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 100ml Milk
- Add butter and sugar in to a mixing bowl and mix until creamy.
- Add Eggs one by one and keep on mixing another few minutes.
- After add the vanilla in to the eggs and mix well.
- Scoop the avocado in to the eggs and butter mix and mix well.
- Mix bicarbonate of soda and baking powder in to the flour and sift once
- Add polenta next to the mixing bowl and while mixing add flour and mix well.
- Pour the mix into a prepared greased loaf pan.
- Bake on 180c about 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Strawberries are always available in markets these days. Its not very expensive to buy either. So when you have time try this beautiful cake with or with out coconut milk. Coconut milk can be poured warm or called. Can freeze this cake for future use or leave in fridge about 2 days with out a problem.
Instead of using strawberries you can use mango, pineapple, banana, raspberries, or any other kind of a flavourful fruit. Make sure to use the same flavoured jelly with the fruit you select.
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 125g Butter
- 210g Self raising flour
- 1/2(125g) cup strawberry puree
- Few drops of vanilla
- 125ml coconut milk
- 2 Eggs
- 40g strawberry flavoured gelatine
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Line 6×6 inch baking tray with baking paper.
- Add Sugar and butter in to a mixing bowl. Whisk 2 minutes.
- Next add the gelatine and eggs and keep on mixing for 2 minutes.
- After add flour , coconut milk, vanilla, strawberry puree and mix on a low speed.
- Pour in to the prepared cake tray and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Pour the coconut milk over the hot cake after poking the cake and leave to absorb the syrup.
- Serve with cream or ice cream.
This was a very nice cake. I made this for my daughters birthday. I forgot to take a photo after cutting it. Her friends finished that even before 5 minutes. So nothing left to take a photo. :). I know the taste of the bite I got before she served her friends, That was divine. No wonder why they finished it so quickly.
Making this cake is super easy. To do the cake you don’t need a mixer. Its one bowl cake. Make sure to mix well. Instead of potato flour you can always use corn flour. Both flours work the same way giving a soft texture . Butter milk is expensive when you buy from the supermarket. Making your own saves money as well as stop worrying what to do next with the leftover butter milk. You make what you want only.
When you add make sure you get more sugar from it too. So feel free to adjust the level of sugar to your liking. As I added only 100g sugar only thats just good for my taste. Add more if you like it very sweet.
Cocoa powder comes in different forms. Dark, natural or light. I always use natural or dark to get the taste as well as the colour.The filling can be done as a normal butter cream or with the cream cheese filling like I did. Trust me the taste of the cheese and icing with the Oreo cookies makes it divine. The chunky cookie pieces are in every bite and make it so different from the other types of icing.
When baking cakes make sure to keep an eye always as different recipes cooks differently. Don’t let it burn. then it will go hard.
For the Cake
- 100g dark or milk cooking or baking chocolate
- 100g Butter
- 60ml Boiling water
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 90g Self Raising flour
- 60g Potato Flour or corn flour
- 90ml Milk + 1tsp Vinegar
- 185g Condensed milk
- 35g Cocoa Powder
- For the Filling
- 150 icing sugar
- 1 Tsps. Whipping cream
- 100g Butter
- 1 tap vanilla
- 1/2 slab cream cheese.
- 1-2 packets Oreo cookies.
For the Icing
- Half of mix left from the filling with out cookies
- More icing sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp. dark cocoa powder
- Into a bowl add the 60ml boiling water and add the chocolate and mix well .
- Next add the milk (Add vinegar Before) in to the chocolate and microwave or double boil it.
- After add the butter and whisk until the butter melts.
- Into a large mixing bowl sift the flours.
- Make a well in the centre and add the sugar & eggs. Mix.
- After add the cocoa mix and whisk until it get mixed.
- Next add the condensed milk In to it and mix.
- Pour in to the prepared cake pan and bake on 170c about 1 hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan covered with a tea towel about 20minutes and after transfer on to a wire rack.
- After Cut the cake to two slabs.
- Add cream cheese , whipping cream in to a mixing bowl with vanilla and start whisking .
- Next add butter and whisk about 30 seconds and add the icing sugar little by little on a low speed and after start whisking on high.
- After take out and break the Oreo cookies in to half of the whipped cream and mix well.
- Leave the other half in the mixing bowl.
- Put the Oreo cream mix on to the base of the cake and spread it nice and even.
- Cover the cake with the other half. Press well. Leave in fridge.
- Into the other half of the whipped cream mix add more icing sugar and start whisking.
- In to that add 1-2 Tbsp. cocoa powder and keep on mixing until it comes to the consistency to spread and do the icing.
- Spread the icing to cover the cake. Leave in fridge. Take back and smoothen with more and the rest of the mix fill in to a piping bag.
- Pipe as you wish.
- Always leave this in fridge. (Can keep 3-4 day in fridge or can freeze with out a problem.
Always I try to do simple and easy recipes . It saves time and when it is so simple people enjoy better than a complicated cake. This recipe is just mixing everything together. Its less than 10 minutes for preparing.
Adding cinnamon & golden syrup in to this gives a beautiful colour. The aroma is all over when baking. If you don’t like adding cinnamon you c an always add vanilla or any spice to your liking.
Almond add moistness and a rich nutty taste to any cake. You can increase the amount of almond flour up to 150g. But remember you need to take 50g of flour out if you do so. I have already upload how to make self raising flour if you want to do it at home or those who cant find self raising flour in their countries. Click on the name and it will take you there.
• 220g Self raising Flour
• 100g Almond Meal
• 150g Sugar
• Pinch of bicarb
• 1 tsp Cinnamon
• 3 Eggs
• 1 Cup Natural yoghurt
• 40g Golden Syrup
• 125ml Oil
• Icing sugar for sprinkling on top.
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Prepare a tray. (6x4inch)
3. Add oil, yoghurt, Eggs, and golden syrup and mix well.
4. Add all the dry ingredients next and whisk well.
5. Pour in to the tray and bake 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
6. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Sprinkle icing sugar on top before serving.
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 150g Caster Sugar
- Egg Whites
- 65g Butter
- 125ml Butter Milk
- Few drops of vanilla
- Beat the egg whites with few spoons of caster sugar until it comes to the soft peak.
- Transfer that to a seperate bowl.
- Add butter and sugar to the same bowl and whisk until pale and creamy.
- Add a few drops and vanilla and the flour and mix well.
- Add the beaten egg whites in to it. Fold it slowly.
- Pour the prepared batter into the tray.
- Bake on 180c about 30-40 min or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Do an icing or cream in the middle. Serve as a tea cake or as a dessert.
- 4 Eggs
- 150g Margarine or butter
- 150g self raising flour
- 200g Sugar
- 500g Rhubarb
- Add margarine or butter ( room temperature) with sugar in to a mixing bowl and whisk until creamy and pale in colour.
- Next add eggs and mix well, scrape down edges.
- Keep on mixing adding vanilla and whisk until creamy and pale in colour.
- Reduce the speed to speed one and then add flour ,mix.
- Take the bowl out from the machine and add the rhubarb.
- Fold with a spatula.
- Spray a 8×8 inch cake pan and pour the batter in.
- bake on 180c about 50 min to 1 hour.
- Cool on a wire rack.