Chinese chilli paste is really popular in Sri Lanka. Sri Lankans Love this sweet, tangy and spicy chilli paste to accompany with most Chinese and Sri Lankan dishes. I always make my own with scratch. You can keep this for a longer period. If you do a larger batch of chilli paste make sure to put them in serialised jars.
When you cook different rice dishes as one pot meals can add a spoon or two chilli paste to make it look appealing and to give zing. I always use the fresh school prawns (Tiny prawns) in this. You can always use dried shrimp in this too. The chilli paste should contain pieces of prawns too. Never powder the prawns for chilli paste. The authentic Chinese chilli paste has a nice crunchy pieces of prawns.
To tell you the truth I even like the chilli paste on a piece of toast or even on a cracker. Shh …… 😀
Buy any Kind of a prawns and clean well. After wash several times. I am using 500 g of school prawns
Deep fry the prawns.
Process the prawns
When processed it should look like this.
You will need a cup of chilli flakes.
Get about 250 ml oil for the paste and extra for deep frying the prawns.
Get 1/2 cup of vinegar.
get one onion or several shallots, garlic, 3 inches ginger
1/2 cup of sugar and enough salt to your taste
Add onion, Ginger, Garlic with vinegar and process until creamy
Put the pan on the stove and add the oil.
When the oil is hot add the process in gredients and stir fry well.
Afer add thechilli flakes and stir well. but make sure not to burn the chillies. Always the pot should be on low heat.
Stir well and add sugar. Stir again. Make sure not to burn.
Add the deep fried and processed prawns in to the pan. Stir well.
Store in sterelized jars.
These beautiful Chinese cakes are very similar to the sponge cakes we had in Sri Lanka when were kids. So I thought of trying this to renew my memories.
This cake a very spongy very less oil cake. I added less sugar. If you like this to be very sweet add up to 125g sugar. When you beat the eggs make sure to continue at once until it reaches the ribbon stage. After using a spatula fold it well.
Few main tips to follow.
- When you do this make sure to whip well.
- After leave the cupcakes 10 minutes out before putting in oven. If you like a very high sponge use self raising flour or 1/2 tsp baking powder.
If you like you can do a nice icing too.
- 4 Eggs
- 90g Plain flour
- 35 g Corn flour
- 75-100gg sugar
- 10ml oil
- Add eggs in to a mixing bowl. Add sugar little by little while whisking. Add a table spoon boiling water in to the egg mix and keep on mixing until it reaches the ribbon stage.
- After sift the flour in to it and fold in to the egg mix with the oil.
- Fill the patty pans and bake on 180C about 10-15 min.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Zucchini Pancakes are one of my favourites. Not only because its full of vegetables but also simple to make. Before making these I always use to do a cake or a slice or Bake with parmesan cheese. Now I do this quite often specially in summer, when there is a lot of Zucchini available. When you do these pancakes you can add different types of flours to make it a more healthier. I normally use flax meal, whole wheat flour and also oatmeal.
This is about 500g Zucchini .Get fresh Zucchini and shred them or grate them .
I already published one recipe to do thin pancakes. This recipe takes no time to do at all. When you are busy and want to change your breakfast to something else Try these beautiful and easy to make pancakes.
The things you need for this recipe is always in your cupboard and fridge. When you want to add some extra flavour to this you can always go for other options such as parsley, celery leaves, leeks, or even cooked meat or fish. Always creativity is in your hands.
The other thing is these pancakes can be made a day head for the lunch boxes too. Also this can be served as a sweet cake with cream and berries or even bananas.
The other ingredients to top up or use as a filling, are Eggs, Chopped chives, Salt and pepper.
This is a baked bun instead of the steamed. The Chinese BBQ pork buns are very popular. This version is the same but I baked it. The buns are very soft and moist and also like cotton. So nice and simple to make. I do not eat pork much. To do this recipe I used pork as I got so many requests. I boiled the pork for easy cooking. If you are not a pork lover you can use chicken or any other kind of a meat with the same dough mixture.
- 420g Bread flour
- 200-220 ml warm water
- 5g Salt
- 1 Egg
- 10g Instant Yeast
- 10g Sugar
- 500g pork cooked pork
- 1 Tbsps. Flour
- Garlic and ginger sliced
- 1/2 of an onion
- 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- Add all the ingredients except water, butter and mix well. Add water bit by bit and make a smooth dough. (The water level always depends on the size of the egg and the water you add to the yeast mix)Then add butter and knead about 10-15 minutes.
- After leave in a warm place to double in size.
- Mean while cook the pork.
- Add about a table spoon full oil in to a pan. In to that add garlic ginger and onion and cook until soft.
- Add sesame oil , oyster sauce, soy sauce and cook one minute until it thickens.
- Next add flour and stir well. Add the pork and cook well. Leave it to cool down.
- When the dough is ready knead the dough well & divide the dough in to equal size pieces .
- After flatten each dough piece in to a round and put the meat in the middle and seal ends and using the palm with out giving pressure roll it on the bench.
- Put them on a baking tray to double in size.
- When doubled in size brush the tops with eggs sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and bake them on 180c about 20 min or until golden on top.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Condensed milk is a thick form milk with added sugar. Now there are several categories of condensed milk. When I was doing this video I didn’t find the one with low sugar. If not I would have used more condensed milk by reducing a bit more milk. The reason why I didn’t add a lot of condensed milk is sugar and when its heavy it gives heaviness to the buns. If you like more sweetness can add more sugar too. I still worry why I didn’t open the buns to show you how it looks like.
As I always say the kneading process should be longer to get a good quality bun.When you knead well they form gluten, which is the protein that allows bread dough to stretch and trap gas bubbles produced by yeast. It give s a good texture as well as a good uniformity.
In most Asian countries they use condensed milk for making tea. It gives a nice flavour to the tea. When ever I open a can I leave about two table spoons full to make a beautiful cup of tea. I love to sip a condensed milk tea quietly to get the real taste of tea. Recently I visited a closed by Malaysian restaurant and I saw they making condensed milk tea there. Instead of dessert I thought I will order a cup of tea. Oh god it was heavenly.
- 200ml Warm Milk
- 50g Condensed Milk
- 400g Bread Flour
- 30g Butter
- 1/2 Egg
- 15g yeast
- 35 g Sugar
- 1/2 the Egg for brushing the tops
- Add the flour, butter and salt in to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add sugar and yeast to the warm milk and leave to activate.
- Add egg and condensed milk and mix that with the flour.
- Add yeast little by little while kneading and mix well.
- Knead about 15 min.
- Put that to a greased bowl and leave it in a warm place to prove.
- After cut the dough to equal size portions.
- Then Make balls (Watch Video) and leave it to prove again .
- After brush the tops with the remaining eggs and bake 180c about 20-30 min.
I love coconut. May be because I grew up in Sri Lanka. We used coconut for everything. The beautiful creamy taste and the aroma I cant forget at all. When we were kids we didn’t know the health benefits of coconut. But we consumed from the young coconut to the well matured coconut. We used oil for cooking too.
I had very thick hair which I couldn’t help with a hair band. My mum used ribbon to tie my hair.Nothing I used except coconut oil for massaging. Now even when I go to saloon for a hair trim they ask me how I keep my hair this thick. The answer always is ” I don’t do much except massage with coconut oil” Hah ha…
Desiccated coconut is made of the well matured dried coconut, ground to a fine texture. That’s why it is a bit oily than a normal fresh coconut. If you love coconut I am sure you are going to love this.
I will share a trick make like fresh coconut out from desiccated coconut. For a cup of desiccated coconut add a cup of water and microwave it for a minute or two. Leave to cool down. It comes to a consistency almost like freshly grated coconut. To get the ext4a creamy texture you can add coconut milk instead of water. Try once. You will love it for sure.
I made a big batch out this recipe to share with some friends. You can halve this or even 1/4 this too. I took all I made for a one day trip to Wilson’s Promontory. Trust me nothing left. They all love d it.
For the dough
- 1kg bread flour
- 80g Butter
- 14g instant yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 100g Sugar
- 270ml Water
- Prepared roux
For the roux
- 100g bread flour
- 150ml Boiling water
For the Filling
- 300g desiccated coconut
- 250g Caster sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 100g Butter
- Add bread flour to a bowl and pour the boiling water. Mix well.
- Prepare a large cooking tray with baking papers.
- Preheat oven to 180c 10 minutes before the last step.
- Add bread flour, roux, sugar , yeast and salt into a mixing bowl and mix well.
- While mixing add the eggs .
- Next add water and start kneading. (If you find the water is not enough try adding a Little.)
- Knead the dough well about 20 minutes.
- Leave in a warm place to double in size.
- Make the filling while kneading the dough ,by adding everything in to coconut. Mix well and make small balls. Leave aside.
- Get the prepared dough and cut to the desired size. (I cut 25 pieces from this)
- Watch the video to see how to make the buns to different shapes.
- Leave in a warm place to double in size.
- After brush with eggs and bake until golden brown on top.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 110g Self raising flour
- 150g Sugar
- 160g Butter
- 50g Cocoa powder
- 100g Chocolate chips or nuts
- Melt the butter and let it cool down for few minutes.
- Add the sugar and vanilla . Whisk well.
- Add flour and cocoa after sifting. Mix well.
- Whisk the eggs well and add in to the batter . Whisk well.
- Pour in to a microwaveable dish.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- After cook for 30 seconds and open the door and check.
- If not do another 30 seconds.
- Leave in tray to cool down.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on top.
Its really handy to have several easy desert recipes in our personal cook book. This is one of them. So simple and easy to make as well as can keep longer. I always try to give you all the exact recipes that work as a charm.
If you are a vegetarian you can always adjust the recipes with Agar Agar. 1 tablespoon gelatine powder = 2tablespoon agar flakes and 2 teaspoon agar agar powder.
I found if you reduce the milk to 200ml it works better. Its up to you to decide.
- 300ml Milk
- 85g Plain Flour
- 1 Tblsp cocoa Powder+ 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 Can condensed milk
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 6 Eggs
- 50g Melted powder
- 20g Gelatine powder
- Dissolve cocoa in warm water
- Add milk in to a pot & Dissolve gelatine. (Whisk while adding gelatine in to milk.)
- Next add vanilla, condensed milk and bring to boil.
- Whisk eggs with sugar in a mixing bowl.
- After add flour and butter .
- Later add the boiled milk in to the mixing bowl. Whisk well.
- After Take out and divide in to two parts. Add dissolved chocolate into one. Pour as directed in video.
- Chill over night.
- Serve with cream or ice cream.