Samosa is crispy & a crunchy snack that easily made with ready made shortcrust pastry. The advantage is you can fry or bake the pastry with out a problem. I oven baked these to use as a snack. Filling always can adjust to your taste. meat, fish or vegetables filling really goes well too.
You can freeze them for using back again too. This is for one packet of shortcrust pastry.
Boil about 500 g potatoes peel and mash them. (This step can be done before hand and leave in fridge)
Chop some onions , chillies, and about 1/2 bunch coriander leaves. get ready with a teaspoon full coriander powder, 1 tsp curry powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, and a teaspoon full chilli powder. (Remember all these can be changed to your liking)
Get canned chickpeas or boiled chick peas(I used one can) add enough salt and pepper in to the potatoes.
Add all the other ingredients in to the potatoes and mix well. Get the thawed packet of short crust pastry.
Cut each sheet into four. Get the corners and make a cone. seal well with the finger tips.
Add the filling into the cone. Get the flap and brush with water or eggs .
Seal well and leave on a baking tray if you are going to bake them. If not fry them.
Brush with eggs and bake on 200 c about 30 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
Serve with a chutney or tomato sauce.
Butter cake is a popular cake in Sri Lanka. Its so simple and easy to make. I used to do this cake when I was 12 years old. Still I use the same recipe as usual. You can use this cake for birthday cakes and any cake that you want to decorate. It comes perfect. Any questions feel free to ask.
After doing more than 1250 recipes in YouTube I haven’t done this cake. I got so many request for this recipe recently. So I thought of sharing my secrets for a beautiful butter cake.
If you are a Novice cook remember these points please. First of all the butter has to be in room temperature. Using cold eggs will do no harm. If you are hand beating, the beating pattern should be the same.
- 125 g Plain flour
- 1 Teaspoon full baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 30 ml Milk
- 125 g Butter (In room temperature)
- 125 g Eggs (Weigh with out shells)
- 125 g Sugar (Adjust sugar to your liking)
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 180 C .
- Grease a baking tray 6 x 3 inch.
- Add Butter and sugar in to a mixing bowl and whisk until sugar dissolves and creamy and pale in colour.
- After add the eggs one by one and mix well.
- Mix salt, baking powder and flour together.
- Lower the speed and add in to the egg mix and mix well.
- Add vanilla and mix well again.
- Pour the batter in to the prepared cake pan and bake on 180 c about 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack completely.
Spinach and ricotta rolls can be done with different ways with filo pastry or puff pastry. When you do with puff pastry it tastes much better and making them take a bit less time too. This recipe is suitable to do as mini rolls too if you want to serve as a an entree.
I always do these pastries in filo. But I had some leftover puff pastry and I used them to make a big batch of them. I baked half of them and left the other half in freezer to use another time. I always do this. Leaving something standby to use on a busy day makes you comfortable with out giving extra stress.
To freeze them , wrap in baking papers or put them in freezer bags separately. Don’t let them stuck together. Then the thawing time increases. Make sure to squeeze the extra water in spinach throughly.
- 150g Lentils
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1/2 of a leek chopped
- Or Celery
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 can tomato
- 1 tablespoon -2 tbsp. sugar
- Chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Pinch pepper
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 litre stock water
- Add oil in to a pot and add garlic. Fry about a minute.
- After add the onions , leeks, carrots & fry several minutes.
- After add tomatoes, bay leaf and the spices , lentils, pureed tomato, stock water and sugar. mix well.
- Cook on simmering about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Lastly add cream. Bring to boil. Check sugar and salt.
- Serve hot.
Marbled cakes can be done in different ways. This is the simplest marble cake. This is actually a loaf cake that you can try with more butter if you wish. This comes so nice and soft too. The nice golden colour and the long split says so much about this cake. If you wish to do a small one you can always half this recipe with out a problem. If you don’t mind the size I made freeze the rest to take out when you feel like something to go with your coffee.
Adding the amount of cocoa can be done with a small amount too. With out cocoa you can always add a colour. There are so many options with your own creativity level.
Instead of using self raising flour and corn flour together you and add both together to use corn flour. Adding a baking paper to the tray is for easy release. But if you have a good quality non-stick loaf pan try using with out any baking paper.
- 4 Eggs
- 225g Butter
- 30g Cocoa
- 2 Tsp. vanilla
- 200g Sugar
- 400g Self raising flour
- 50g Corn Flour
- 160ml Milk
- Prepare a 12×4 inch loaf pan.
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Add softened butter , sugar and vanilla in to a mixing bowl and start mixing it until nice and creamy.
- When it is nice and pale in colour add eggs one by one and whisk well.
- Next lower the speed & add the flour little by little until its well combined.
- Lastly add the milk and whisk well.
- After mixing take 2/3 of the mix out and leave the other 1/3 of the mix in the mixing bowl.
- Add the sifted cocoa in to the 1/3 in the mixing bowl. Whisk well. If you find it dry you can always add a bit of milk to make it nice and smooth.
- Put the dollop of the vanilla mix here and there and do the same with the cocoa mix.
- To get the marbled effect use a fork to mix. But do not over mix.
- Bake on a preheated oven until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Suitable for freezing too.
This is a really nice herby and soft in the middle ,crusty out side bread. The olives and the tomatoes gives more flavour to this bread.
- 350g Bread flour
- 5g Salt
- 5g Instant dry yeast
- 10g Sugar
- 200ml warm water
- 20ml olive oil for the dough
- 20ml oil for applying
- Mixed herbs
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- Add flour, salt , yeast , sugar in to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- While mixing the above ingredients add water little by little and keep on kneading.
- Lower the speed and add herbs and oil.
- Continue kneading for another 10 minutes.
- Leave the dough in a greased bowl, in a warm place to double.
- When the dough is doubled in size punch and put it on to a floured bench and knead well.
- After cut in to equal size pieces.
- Make balls a, press olive and tomato & leave 10 more minutes to rest.
- After make circles and leave 10-15minutes in a warm place.
- Bake 180c about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Some one can ask why you mix Toblerone in a slice with out having it on its own. This recipe is strong enough to break that argument. The mixture makes the Toblerone tastes nicer. The crunches in the Toblerone makes the slice taste better as well as the cocoa makes the Toblerone tastes much better.
This slice is so simple and easy to make in few minutes. You don’t need a machine to mix too. This is a mix and bake recipe.
- 75g Self raising flour
- 25g Plain Flour
- 25g cocoa
- 50g Chocolate
- 125g Butter
- 2 Toblerone
- 1 Egg
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 60ml Boiling Water
- Preheat the oven to 160c.
- Prepare a 6×6 inch cake pan.
- In to a microwaveable bowl add butter, boiling Water, and part of the Toblerone and heat until it melts.
- Sift the flours with cocoa.
- Beat the egg.
- In to the cocoa and flour mix add the melted ingredients and the egg and mix well.
- After add the sugar and mix about two minutes.
- Pour half of the mix and sprinkle the chocolate melts.
- Pour the other half on top.
- Break the Toblerone and press in to the batter.
- Bake about 20-30 min. , or until sets.
- Cool completely before cutting.
This slice once brought to work by a Croatian colleague and it was a hit. So after appreciation I got this beautiful recipe that will take you to another world. its so easy and simple no bake recipe. take only few minutes to assemble.
There are several advantage of this recipe. Can make a big batch and freeze in zip lock bags for future use. Few easy steps to follow. As its a no bake recipe saves your time. From these large wafers and do nearly 50-80 large pieces.
If you cant find the larger wafer sheets try using the ice cream wafers. Then you do not need to cut at all and it will look nice too.
Instead of using almond or pistachio try using walnuts as Croatians do. I am not a fan of walnuts. So I did it differently. Instead of adding butter add a bit more chocolate.
- 1 Packet Wafers
- 1 can Condensed Milk
- 250g Almond Meal
- 150g Crushed Pistachio
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. Brandy
- 350g Chocolate
- 250g Butter
- Add chocolate, condensed Milk, Butter and vanilla in to a pot. Heat the mix until butter and chocolate melts.
- After add more vanilla and the brandy. Stir well.
- Add the pistachios and the almond meal. Mix well.
- Lay one wafer slices on a tray.
- Put the mix on it and spread evenly.
- Continue layering as you wish.
- Put a weight on top. Lave one hour to press. After put it in fridge over night.
- Cut according to the way or the size as you wish.
quinoa is a superfood. It is gluten free . It is a high protein vegetable that is becoming very famous all over the world. Some replace rice with quinoa. it is high in omega 3 and lots of other nutrition & 9 different types of amino acids.
When you cook quinoa make sure you to wash well. I normally do several times. After add stock or water. I find when you add stock water it tastes beautiful. It’s alright with water with a bit of butter. Anyway that’s my personal choice. Always add 11/2 cups of water for each cup of water.So it cooks light and fluffy. I bring the quinoa to boil on high heat and then I reduce the heat to low cover and cook for fifteen to twenty minutes.
when I have time I always extra quinoa and leave in fridge for several days. So you can quickly assemble the cooked quinoa as a salad when you are busy or can make quinoa omelette or even patties. I have done some videos and I will link them. You can cook a big amount of this dish and freeze in individual containers for future use. This recipe is really good for freezing.
- 3 small cups quinoa
- 41/2 water or stock water
- Butter or olive oil
- 250g Chicken tenderloins (Optional)
- 1 Yellow and red capsicum
- 1 carrot
- 100g Beans
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 Tsp cumin powder
- 1 large onion chopped
- Several cloves of garlic chopped
- Several chilies sliced (Optional)
- Olive oil or butter for stir frying
- Salt and pepper
- Wash quinoa thoroughly and cook it until light and fluffy. (Please read the description on top)
- Use a fork to fluff the quinoa.
- Cut the Vegetables and prepare all the other ingredients.
- Add oil in to a pot or a pan.
- When the oil is hot add the onions, garlic and chillies .
- Fry until the onions are translucent.
- Next add the hard vegies and cook about a minute. Do not over cook the vegetables.
- Next add all the other ingredients and the cooked quinoa and stir fry well.
- Serve hot with a chutney or pickle or as it is.