This loaf cake is copy cat of a banana and date loaf I recently had in an organic coffee shop. It was really nice and warm with lots of butter.Before serving make sure to warm it for 30 seconds in the microwave with some extra butter. The butter goes through the warm bread and gives a nice taste to it.
If you are after a healthy option try with out butter. I only used 75g butter for the whole loaf. I love this loaf with out any butter too. I love dates. These days fresh dates are available due to Ramadan season. I really want to use them in my recipes. So I am working on several more recipes. If you are a date lover wait for more uploads.
- 130g dates
- 70ml Boiling Water
- 75g Butter
- 240g Self Raising Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Well Ripped Bananas
- 70g Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Bi carbonate of Soda
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Prepare a 6x4inch loaf pan. (You can always halve this recipe)
- In to a pot add the dates and the butter and bring it to boil. After add 1/2 Tsp bicarbonate of soda and mix well and leave aside.
- Add banana, brown sugar, vanilla, & eggs and mix well about 2 minutes.
- After add the dates and mix well. (Its all right to use slightly cold dates or medium hot)
- Next add the flour and mix really well scraping down the ends.
- Add the cake mix in to the loaf pan about 30 min to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Use with butter or as it is.
One day I made these beautiful thin pancakes for breakfast and it was a hit. After that when ever the kids request I make them at any time. Its so simple and easy to make and all the ingredients are easy to find. If you are a vegan try adding coconut milk instead of milk.
Instead of adding the corn flour you can add potato flour to the mixture. Both flours are doing the same thing.
Can serve with a dipping sauce or even with cream and ice cream. If you like it as a sweet version add the sugar. It will be good to serve with cream too.
These pancakes are a hit every time I make them,. These are the ingredients. I used 225g Plain flour, 85g Corn Flour, 2 Eggs, 500ml Milk, 30g Butter melted and some salt.
Always try to use the potatoes with out leaving longer. Potatoes always go dark soon. Then the colours will not be nice.
Squeezing the extra liquid is not that easy. But do as much as you can, or dry on a paper towel.
When you wash the green part of the leek make sure to seperate the leaves first and then wash one by one to remove the mud or dust on it. leeks easily collect mud.
I always like extra taste. You can always reduce or omit stock cubes. I used the vegetable stock cubes.
My meals are always simple and easy. I always try to prepare things before I go to work or during the week end. Even pasta can be cooked a day ahead. So I come home and assemble everything together in few minutes. Most of the time they are one pot meals. But I always try to give my family a well balanced diet.
You can always use the left overs from the Sunday roast to a meal like this. As it a creamy and a tasty dish kids will love this too. Try this and let me know too. I have written the descriptions with the picture for easy understanding. Always get this as an idea and create your own. Thats why I didn’t write the measurements. I like more veggies than pasta. you can do it the other way with more pasta and less veggies.
Sometimes I feel that we are working like machines from morning to night. I know its not only me we all are. What we were used to do before , I mean when we are kids is no more easy. So we all like to find short cuts or simple ways. I try to share simple recipes most of the time. This is one of them. So simple and easy to make. It looks very colourful and taste nice too.
When you crush the cookies for this recipe ,make sure to crush finely. So there are no lumps and it sets well too. The flavour of the cherries are so nice in this but I find the colour is not enough. So I added red food colouring or even pink. If you love your sweets very sweet try adding a bit more sugar. if you find the slice is not dry enough always add a bit more coconut. It will set it properly.
The slice can be kept in fridge about 2 weeks in fridge, You freeze them in snack bags to take them when ever you want. The advantage is you can make them a day or two before to please a crowd. Enjoy!
- 150g Plain Cookies
- 200g Glazed Red Cherries
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 130g Desiccated coconut
- 1/2 can Condensed Milk
- Red Food Colouring
- 180g Chocolate
- 20g Butter
- Once set, Melt the chocolate with butter and pour on top of the slice and put it back in to the fridge.
- Add desiccated coconut, vanilla, butter, cherries and red food colouring in to the crushed cookies.
- Process the cookies until crumbles.
- Mix well and press in to a baking tray or any kind of a tray. Leave in fridge.
- Cut in to squares and leave in an air tight container in the fridge.
Couscous is the best option when you are in a hurry to make the meal. So easy to make. All you need is to boil some water and add the couscous and wait for 3-4 minutes. Stir fry some veggies and mix the couscous. This tiny pasta is so versatile to have in the pantry.
Couscous can be prepared in many ways. This is one of them. If you are not a vegetarian try adding some meat to the couscous or fish. Couscous salads are popular too. Mushrooms and sun-dried tomato and olives in couscous is a good combination with a good salad dressing.
Mixed Vegetable Couscous
- – 2 Cups of Couscous
- – 2 Cups of Water
- – Olive Oil
- – Salt
- – Pepper
- – 1 Leek
- – 1/2 of a Carrot
- – Capsicum
- – Tomatoes
- – Garlic
- – Onion
- – 2 Stock Cubes
- – Chillies
- – Beans
- Boil water adding salt and oil.
- Switch off and add couscous.
- Leave covered.
- In a another pot add oil and cook onion and garlic.
- Next add chillies and beans and cook that about 2 minutes.
- After add stock cubes and mix well and add beans.
- Next add carrots.
- Add cabbage after and cook few seconds.
- Next add sundried tomatoes and add the capsicums.
- Cook few seconds and add enough salt and pepper.
- Mix couscous and serve hot.
We all are busy in this globalize world. I find it really hard and tiring to cook several dishes after work for our dinner. I really care about what my family eats and whether it is nutritios or not. So i always try to cook a balanced dinner. This is one of them. I through every thing around to make it a full meal. This is just an idea. You can alwys create you own.
When I do shoppin g I buy wraps for easy use and so simple to make too. you can fill with what ever you like. they are handy to have. You can buy several and freeze them for later use. If nothing around can defrost one and use like this.
This is a complete meal with less carbohydrates. With all the cheeses it gives nice creamier taste. I really love the mxican food. So tasty and loads of meat and vegetables. If I see a mexican restaurant I dont think twice to have one of their beautiful meals. Try making your kids eat lot of vegetables this way. they will love it. Its good for the lunch box too.
- 12 tortilla wraps
- 200g Minced beef
- 1 cup of mixed cheese
- Mexican spices
- 1 cup Spring onions
- 1 can chick peas
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 bunch coriander chopped
- Garlic sliced
- Onion chopped
- 1 carrot shredded
- 2 tomatoes
- Add oil in to a pan and fry onion and garlic.
- Next add the chillies and the minced beef in to it. Stir Fry several minutes.
- After add mushrooms and tomatoes and cook about two minutes.
- Add chickpeas and spices and mix well. Check the salt and add salt with pepper.
- Next add carrots and half the amount of coriander and cook again two minutes.
- Later add spring onions and finish it.
- Spray a baking tray and pack the tortilla wraps as directed in the video. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese and herbs and bake until golden brown on top.
Falooda is one of the most beautiful drink that you can find almost every restaurant in Sri Lanka. Almost every day is a warm day there and falooda has a good market every day. The unique taste to its own, make this drink a real time favourite to any one. The colour of the drink is very attractive too. Not only it helps stop the thirst it can stop your hunger too.
I have uploaded a recipe about falooda too. Its not only a drink its a dessert too.. when you select fruit and dried fruits for the falooda think about the taste as well as the colour. Colours plays a major part of this dessert. So if you choose dates like me it need to be fresh or if dried needs to wash and soak before cutting.
How to Make the rose syrup/Sherbet Syrup
We find so many recipies include Oreo cookies as an ingredient these days. Kids love them I know. When I bring some for a recipe I have to hide them somewhere that my kids can’t find them.if not after I prepare everything Oreo goes missing. That happened to me so many times..
This recipe calls for only three ingredients and so simple and easy to make. I have made this for special afternoon teas and functions so many times and I can promise you that this work really well.
Only thing is when you melt the chocolate try not to over heat as it can go guey. The method for double broiling is to cook the chocolates in a bowl on simmering water until it melts. Good quality chocolates work really well in microwave too.
- 750g White chocolate melts
- 390 g Condensed Milk
- 4 Packets Oreo Cookies
- Melt the chocolate on a double broiler or even in microwave.
- Add a can of condensed milk in to the chocolate.
- Break the Oreos in to Small pieces.
- Mix with the white chocolate and the condensed milk.
- Pour in to the prepared pan.
- Decorate with the left over cookies.
- Place in fridge overnight or several hours until it sets.
- Cut as you wish.
- Can freeze for several months.