I always believe in the saying ” HOME MADE IS THE BEST”. When I have time I always think about my family having a healthy well nutritious meal. As I am so busy during the day I really don’t want to cook when I come home. Thats why I create so many one pot meals. But when I have time during the week end I do a lot ahead. This is one of them. If you are a busy mum try making these beautiful vegetable only burgers for your kids or the loved ones.
When ever I do these burgers I try to add all the colourful vegetables to make it looks nicer and also tastes nicer too. I didn’t add any eggs in this recipe thinking about my vegan and vegetarian readers and you don’t need any eggs in here at all. I used bread crumbs only as a binding agent for these burgers. Don’t try adding watery vegetables as you will end up having lots of bread crumbs in your burgers.
I used 1 large sweet potato, half of a butternut pumpkin, 2 large carrots, 1 whole leek, about 250g spinach, and 2 large potatoes. I used about 11/2 cups of bread crumbs for this recipe. Cut one onion, several cloves of garlic and some bird eye chillies . Chillies are always optional.
Then I used these ingredients 2 table spoons full tomato chutney, 1 tablespoon full chilli sauce, 1 table spoon full sandwich pickle and 1 tablespoon full wholegrain mustard to give extra flavour.
quinoa is a superfood. It is gluten free . It is a high protein vegetable that is becoming very famous all over the world. Some replace rice with quinoa. it is high in omega 3 and lots of other nutrition & 9 different types of amino acids.
When you cook quinoa make sure you to wash well. I normally do several times. After add stock or water. I find when you add stock water it tastes beautiful. It’s alright with water with a bit of butter. Anyway that’s my personal choice. Always add 11/2 cups of water for each cup of water.So it cooks light and fluffy. I bring the quinoa to boil on high heat and then I reduce the heat to low cover and cook for fifteen to twenty minutes.
when I have time I always extra quinoa and leave in fridge for several days. So you can quickly assemble the cooked quinoa as a salad when you are busy or can make quinoa omelette or even patties. I have done some videos and I will link them. You can cook a big amount of this dish and freeze in individual containers for future use. This recipe is really good for freezing.
- 3 small cups quinoa
- 41/2 water or stock water
- Butter or olive oil
- 250g Chicken tenderloins (Optional)
- 1 Yellow and red capsicum
- 1 carrot
- 100g Beans
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 Tsp cumin powder
- 1 large onion chopped
- Several cloves of garlic chopped
- Several chilies sliced (Optional)
- Olive oil or butter for stir frying
- Salt and pepper
- Wash quinoa thoroughly and cook it until light and fluffy. (Please read the description on top)
- Use a fork to fluff the quinoa.
- Cut the Vegetables and prepare all the other ingredients.
- Add oil in to a pot or a pan.
- When the oil is hot add the onions, garlic and chillies .
- Fry until the onions are translucent.
- Next add the hard vegies and cook about a minute. Do not over cook the vegetables.
- Next add all the other ingredients and the cooked quinoa and stir fry well.
- Serve hot with a chutney or pickle or as it is.
- 4 Boiled chicken breasts
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tblsp Lemon Juice
- Paprika Powder
- Fresh onions or onion flakes
- Fresh garlic or Garlic powder
- Chopped Parsley
- Mustard powder or cream
For the crust
- 3 cups corn flakes
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- flour to coat chicken
- 2 Eggs for Egg wash and halfacup of milk
- Process corn flakes and Parmesan cheese. ( process until crumbly)
- Leave a side.
- Add chicken breasts in to the same processor parsley lemon juice,paprika, pepper,onion and garlic powders and parsley. Process until fine and add the eggs and the mustard.
- Take out and make balls.
- Coat in flour.
- Egg wash. Cover with corn flakes. ( Mix eggs with milk)
- bake on 180 c about 20 minutes. Serve with tomato sauce or chutney.
- 1 kilo chicken
- 200g Cashews
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp Cumin powder
- 1Tsp crushed ginger
- 50 g corn flour.
- 2 tblsp tomato sauce
- 2 tblsp Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tblsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tblsp Brown sugar
- 1 tblsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp-1 tsp paprika or chillie powder
- 125 ml soy sauce
- 1 tblsp Oil.
- In to a mixing bowl add pepper, cumin powder, chilli or paprika powder, garlic powder, salt and con flour and mix well. Instead of a bowl you can use a snap lock bag for this too.
- Add the chicken pieces toss . Make sure to coat all the chicken like this.
- Meanwhile mix soy sauce, ginger, chilli powder,tomato sauce, vinegar, an sugar in a seperate bowl.
- Heat some oil in a pan add chicken and seal well.
- Add chicken and cashews in to a slow cooker and pour the mixed sauce mixture ove it and cook several ours or one hour.
- Serve with steamed rice and nice side salad.
Almonds have lots of health benefits. I read several articles recently about the benefits of almonds. It seems that they are good for the brain, regulates the cholesterol levels, strengthen the immune system as well as regulating the blood pressure. Thats some of them.
I have one almond tree in my backyard. After the first year it gave so many but never got the chance to eat as cockatoos were eating them. I tried covering the tree with nets. One day a cockatoo has cut the net to go in. After I offered the tree to them.
You can use almonds for lots of sweets. These beautiful cookies are very nice and crunchy. store them in an air tight container.
- 200g Plain flour
- Vanilla/ a few drops
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 125g chilled butter chopped
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 75g Sugar
- 100g Almonds
- 1Tblsp milk if needed.
- Add the flour, chopped chilled butter, Vanilla, Baking Powder and the egg in to the mixing bowl.
- Mix it until it combines.
- Put it in fridge for 30 min.
- Take out and roll to 1 -2 cm thickness.
- Cut to any shape.
- Egg wash.
- Dip in or sprinkle almonds.
- Bake on 180c for 10-15min.
This is a really healthy snack that you can keep for a longer period. Adding honey gives a sweetness as well as it works like a preservative. Instead of orange juice can add apple juice or or even Alcohol (then its not healthy…)
To keep longer leave them in fridge and rest can be packed in snack bags and freeze. Take a day before to thaw. You can make them in a larger batch and take when ever you want.
Instead of sesame seeds you can use nuts coconut or even chocolate for coating.
- 250g Roasted Almonds
- 100g Dried Plums
- 200g Sultana
- 250g Dates
- 100g Apricot
- 200g Dried Cranberries
- Juice of 1 Orange
- Enough Honey to sweeten
- 1-11/2 cups Sesame roasted
- Add from hard fruits to soft fruit to a food processor and process until it combines together add orange juice and honey.
- Next make balls and dip in roasted sesame.
- store in air tight jars.