This is a real easy and a simple cake. This a vegetarian and a vegan recipe. I used almond milk for this recipe. You can use any milk for this. Adding mixed nuts to this cake will give a nice and taste to the cake. Make sure to grind them coarsely.
All you need to do is to mix all the ingredients together to make the batter and bake it. The temperature may vary from oven to oven. make sure to insert a skewer to see the cake done.
- 200ml milk (Almond or rice milk)
- 75g Sugar
- 80g plain flour
- 50g Nuts
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1/4 Tsp Baking powder
- 50g Strawberry jam Melted
- Into a mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix well.
- After add the melted strawberry jam and milk little by little and make a batter with out lumps.
- Put it in to a baking pan. (I used a 6×3 inch round pan..)
- Pour the mix in and bake on 180c about 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Nut Brittle in the Microwave
- 225g Nuts
- 200g Raw Sugar
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 200g Corn Syrup/ Glucose syrup
- 12g Bicarb
- Pinch of Salt
- 50g Butter
- Add sugar, Glucose syrup,Salt, and the nut and microwave it about 6 min while stirring occasionally.
- After add butter,vanilla, baking soda quickly and pour in to the tray.
- Spread evenly and leave to cool completely.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
I love to sip a coffee if I have time to rest. I always go for something sweet with my coffee. One day I found this organic coffee shop which was full of beautiful sweets. I was a bit hungry too at that time and grabbed a piece of nut bread with my coffee. It was full of flavours. I sat in a corner where I can study the ingredients by my self and wrote what I thought was there on my little note book. I had a good recipe for the outer layer which I used for several things and I modified that with egg yolks and sugar. The nut mix I found in that was with lots of walnuts. To tell you the truth I am not a fan of walnuts. So I replaced that with cashew and created this slice which was a hit. I took some for work too. The taste of the brandy with almonds gives this cake a very rich flavour.
This Bread stays out side in an air tight container for a week. When you slice the cake if you put them individually you can freeze them for months with out a problem. Individual freezing saves time for thawing as well as you can take to work as a snack with out thawing. By the time you take out it is ready for munching.
If you want to do adjustments to the inner layer to your liking please go for it. All the nuts can be replaced with anything as you wish. For brandy add fruit juice. That will give an extra different flavour too. When baking make sure to use the middle rack. It will take one hour or more than that depending from the type of oven you are using.
- 300g plain flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 12g Instant dry yeast
- 3 Egg yolks
- 75g Butter
- 250-300ml milk
- 100g caster Sugar
For the Filling
- 1 Cup Shredded almonds
- 1 Cup chopped Cashew nuts
- 1 Cup Almond meal
- 1/4 cup- 1/2 cup Brandy
- 3 Egg whites
- 100g Sugar
- 1/2 Cup C raisins (Cranberries)/ Sultana/ Raisins etc.……
- 1 Tsp. Lemon Zest
- A few drops of Vanilla
- Add the plain flour, salt, yeast, egg yolks, vanilla, sugar and butter in to the mixing bowl start kneading adding milk little by little.
- Knead about 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare the filling by adding all the ingredients together. Leave until the dough rises.
- Leave the dough to double in size in a warm place.
- When the dough is ready knead adding flour divide the dough in to 2 equal parts.
- Roll each dough as thin as you can. Then spread the nut spread equally.
- Roll the dough from one end to the other.
- Leave to double and bake on 180c about one hour or until golden brown on top.
- Slice and serve with a coffee. It stays out more than a week.
Almonds have lots of health benefits. I read several articles recently about the benefits of almonds. It seems that they are good for the brain, regulates the cholesterol levels, strengthen the immune system as well as regulating the blood pressure. Thats some of them.
I have one almond tree in my backyard. After the first year it gave so many but never got the chance to eat as cockatoos were eating them. I tried covering the tree with nets. One day a cockatoo has cut the net to go in. After I offered the tree to them.
You can use almonds for lots of sweets. These beautiful cookies are very nice and crunchy. store them in an air tight container.
- 200g Plain flour
- Vanilla/ a few drops
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 125g chilled butter chopped
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 75g Sugar
- 100g Almonds
- 1Tblsp milk if needed.
- Add the flour, chopped chilled butter, Vanilla, Baking Powder and the egg in to the mixing bowl.
- Mix it until it combines.
- Put it in fridge for 30 min.
- Take out and roll to 1 -2 cm thickness.
- Cut to any shape.
- Egg wash.
- Dip in or sprinkle almonds.
- Bake on 180c for 10-15min.
If you love baking and experimenting different types of dough try this strudel dough. You need to roll it to very thin pastry which will become very flaky and crusty after baking. This dough is very pliable . You can use it for savoury dishes too.
This dough has no yeast. If you do this dough and try this recipe you will never go for shop bought pastries.
For the strudel dough
- 375g All purpose flour
- 185 ml Luke warm water
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tsp vinegar
For the Filling
- 4 large Apples peeled & sliced
- Juice of half a lemon for stop browning apples
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon powder
- 100g Sultana
- 50g Sugar
- 50g Corn Starch/potato Starch/bread Crumbs
- Peel and slice the apples . Add lemon juice to stop browning.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Leave aside.
- Add bread flour olive oil , vinegar, salt with water mix and knead several minutes.
- Leave 10 minutes to rest.
- Roll the dough to a rectangular shape as shown in the video.
- Sprinkle the mixed apples and roll from one end to the other.
- Brush some butter and bake on 180c until golden brown on top.
- Sprinkle some icing sugar when cool.
- Serve with cream and ice cream.
This is a really healthy snack that you can keep for a longer period. Adding honey gives a sweetness as well as it works like a preservative. Instead of orange juice can add apple juice or or even Alcohol (then its not healthy…)
To keep longer leave them in fridge and rest can be packed in snack bags and freeze. Take a day before to thaw. You can make them in a larger batch and take when ever you want.
Instead of sesame seeds you can use nuts coconut or even chocolate for coating.
- 250g Roasted Almonds
- 100g Dried Plums
- 200g Sultana
- 250g Dates
- 100g Apricot
- 200g Dried Cranberries
- Juice of 1 Orange
- Enough Honey to sweeten
- 1-11/2 cups Sesame roasted
- Add from hard fruits to soft fruit to a food processor and process until it combines together add orange juice and honey.
- Next make balls and dip in roasted sesame.
- store in air tight jars.
Not only Greeks enjoy talking about their history they really enjoy the food too. They have so many beautiful breads and cakes. I love lots of different styles of baking and I thought of sharing this after a friend suggested this to me.
For a more authentically Greek Easter bread, season it with Mahlab and mastic. You can buy online or from Arabian or Greek food stores. This is a very different style of bread with a hot sugar syrup. This syrup absorbs to the bread like a magic.
If you do not like the muffins very sweet you can always omit the sugar syrup. You can half this recipe with out a problem.
Always when you have left overs freeze them and use them when you need.
- 70g Butter
- 75ml Milk
- 100g Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 440g Bread flour
- Zest of one Orange
- 12 g Instant dry Yeast
- 50ml Warm Water
- 100g Sugar
- Vanilla (Few Drops)
- Pinch Cinnamon
- Any kind of a nut chopped for topping
For the Syrup
- 50ml Water
- 150g or 1 cup Sugar
- Add bread flour, orange zest, yeast, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, milk and water in to a mixing bowl and knead until its smooth and elastic. About 20 min.
- Leave in a greased bowl in a warm place to double in size.
- Then cut in to pieces and make balls. Put them in muffin trays or disposable foil cases.
- Leave to double in a warm place.
- After brush the tops with eggs sprinkle some nuts and bake on 180c about 15-20 min.
- Before taking the bread out boil sugar and water and pour over top of buns when they come out from oven.
- Cool on wire a rack.