Choux pastry is a different kind of a pastry and its used to make a lot of different types of sweets.The high moisture in the dough create steam during cooking to puff the pastry. Adding this topping makes it too different to the other pastries and gives a nice crunchy topping.
Making these pastry is very simple. Make sure to bake until nice and crunchy.
You can use this to make eclairs. To get the recipe click here
Making vanilla custard slice is really simple and easy. its only three main steps. Baking the pastry , making the custard and spreading the icing. Most of us think that its a really difficult in making this slice. When you beak the steps in to 3 main you can realise how easy this slice is.
You can double the amount of custard if you like your slice very high and thick. If you like it with out gelatine try adding 1/2 cup of corn flour in to the mix. It will thicken the custard just like the gelatine.
You can always omit the last step if you don’t like to consume lot of sugar. Just sprinkle some icing sugar on top.
I really like the vanilla slice. I always like to have two. Such a nice delicate sweet for a special function or for an afternoon tea.
- 800ml Milk
- 80g Custard Powder
- 240ml Whipping/ thickened cream
- 130g Sugar
- 15-20g Gelatine powder
- 80ml water
- 2 pastry sheets
- 1 egg for brushing the pastry.
- 60ml passionfruit pulp
- 250g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 220c.
- Brush the pastry sheets with eggs.
- Bake for 8-10min until golden brown & leave to cool.
- Add Milk , sugar and cream into a pot and whisk well.
- After add the custard powder and vanilla and whisk until no lumps.
- Put it on the stove and cook until it thickens.
- Dissolve the gelatine in the water and microwave until gelatine melts.
- Add the gelatine in to the custard and whisk well.
- Lay the pastry on a tray.
- Pour the custard over.
- Cover with the other pastry.
- Leave in fridge over night.
- The next day whisk icing adding passion fruit pulp spoon by spoon.
- When it comes to a spreadable consistency spread it on and sprinkle some icing on top.
- Leave in fridge to set.
- Cut in to slices as you wish.
Salmon is rich in omega3 fatty acids and also proteins. Salmon can be cooked in different ways. Its a healthy option for quick and easy meal. Its has so many health benefits. Try cooking salmon in different ways.
I love pastry so this meal gives the crunchy crust out side while you get the flavourful middle. Adding spinach in to the salmon with creme fraiche gives a creamier taste to the salmon. When you serve a side salad too it becomes a full meal.
Ingredients ( Serves 4)
- 600g Salmon
- 4 Pastries
- 1 tub (200g) creme fraiche /sour cream/cream cheese
- 20g Butter
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 Bunch dill
- 3 Shallots
- 200g Spinach
- 1 egg for brushing the pastry
- Add the butter, Shallots, dill stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach , salt, & pepper and stir fry until dry.
- In a seperate bowl mix creme fraiche, dill, salt and pepper together.
- Lay the pastry on a tray or on the bench. Brush with eggs.
- Put salmon and spinach, and a tea spoon full creme fraiche. Spread.
- Cover with the pastry. Cut ends and seal the ends.
- Brush with eggs.
- Bake on 180c about 20 -30 min or until golden brown on top.
- Serve with a side salad and creme fraiche.