This loaf cake is copy cat of a banana and date loaf I recently had in an organic coffee shop. It was really nice and warm with lots of butter.Before serving make sure to warm it for 30 seconds in the microwave with some extra butter. The butter goes through the warm bread and gives a nice taste to it.
If you are after a healthy option try with out butter. I only used 75g butter for the whole loaf. I love this loaf with out any butter too. I love dates. These days fresh dates are available due to Ramadan season. I really want to use them in my recipes. So I am working on several more recipes. If you are a date lover wait for more uploads.
- 130g dates
- 70ml Boiling Water
- 75g Butter
- 240g Self Raising Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Well Ripped Bananas
- 70g Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Bi carbonate of Soda
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Prepare a 6x4inch loaf pan. (You can always halve this recipe)
- In to a pot add the dates and the butter and bring it to boil. After add 1/2 Tsp bicarbonate of soda and mix well and leave aside.
- Add banana, brown sugar, vanilla, & eggs and mix well about 2 minutes.
- After add the dates and mix well. (Its all right to use slightly cold dates or medium hot)
- Next add the flour and mix really well scraping down the ends.
- Add the cake mix in to the loaf pan about 30 min to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Use with butter or as it is.
Always try to use the potatoes with out leaving longer. Potatoes always go dark soon. Then the colours will not be nice.
Squeezing the extra liquid is not that easy. But do as much as you can, or dry on a paper towel.
When you wash the green part of the leek make sure to seperate the leaves first and then wash one by one to remove the mud or dust on it. leeks easily collect mud.
I always like extra taste. You can always reduce or omit stock cubes. I used the vegetable stock cubes.
My meals are always simple and easy. I always try to prepare things before I go to work or during the week end. Even pasta can be cooked a day ahead. So I come home and assemble everything together in few minutes. Most of the time they are one pot meals. But I always try to give my family a well balanced diet.
You can always use the left overs from the Sunday roast to a meal like this. As it a creamy and a tasty dish kids will love this too. Try this and let me know too. I have written the descriptions with the picture for easy understanding. Always get this as an idea and create your own. Thats why I didn’t write the measurements. I like more veggies than pasta. you can do it the other way with more pasta and less veggies.
Falooda is one of the most beautiful drink that you can find almost every restaurant in Sri Lanka. Almost every day is a warm day there and falooda has a good market every day. The unique taste to its own, make this drink a real time favourite to any one. The colour of the drink is very attractive too. Not only it helps stop the thirst it can stop your hunger too.
I have uploaded a recipe about falooda too. Its not only a drink its a dessert too.. when you select fruit and dried fruits for the falooda think about the taste as well as the colour. Colours plays a major part of this dessert. So if you choose dates like me it need to be fresh or if dried needs to wash and soak before cutting.
How to Make the rose syrup/Sherbet Syrup
We find so many recipies include Oreo cookies as an ingredient these days. Kids love them I know. When I bring some for a recipe I have to hide them somewhere that my kids can’t find them.if not after I prepare everything Oreo goes missing. That happened to me so many times..
This recipe calls for only three ingredients and so simple and easy to make. I have made this for special afternoon teas and functions so many times and I can promise you that this work really well.
Only thing is when you melt the chocolate try not to over heat as it can go guey. The method for double broiling is to cook the chocolates in a bowl on simmering water until it melts. Good quality chocolates work really well in microwave too.
- 750g White chocolate melts
- 390 g Condensed Milk
- 4 Packets Oreo Cookies
- Melt the chocolate on a double broiler or even in microwave.
- Add a can of condensed milk in to the chocolate.
- Break the Oreos in to Small pieces.
- Mix with the white chocolate and the condensed milk.
- Pour in to the prepared pan.
- Decorate with the left over cookies.
- Place in fridge overnight or several hours until it sets.
- Cut as you wish.
- Can freeze for several months.
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 150g Caster Sugar
- Egg Whites
- 65g Butter
- 125ml Butter Milk
- Few drops of vanilla
- Beat the egg whites with few spoons of caster sugar until it comes to the soft peak.
- Transfer that to a seperate bowl.
- Add butter and sugar to the same bowl and whisk until pale and creamy.
- Add a few drops and vanilla and the flour and mix well.
- Add the beaten egg whites in to it. Fold it slowly.
- Pour the prepared batter into the tray.
- Bake on 180c about 30-40 min or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Do an icing or cream in the middle. Serve as a tea cake or as a dessert.
- 21/2 cups of diced pineapple or 1/2 of a pineapple
- 4 Cups cooked rice( left over better)
- Chives or corriander
- 1/2 cup roastedcashew nuts
- 1/4 cup roasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 Tblsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 a capsicum
- 3 Eggs
- 4 Red chillies
- 1 Onion chopped
- Oil for stir frying
- Salt and pepper
- Add oil in to a pan and fry onion ginger and garlic. Cook for two minutes
- Add capsicum,chillies, peas, stir and make a well in the centre.
- Break the eggs and let it set and then scramble it.
- Add salt, pepper and pineapple. Cook two minutes. ( do not over cook)
- Next add rice , cashew, chives, sesame and the sauces and cook further 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle some corriander and mix well.
- Serve hot with a curry or as it is.
When you want to serve bacon and eggs for breakfast try this way one day. Its really easy to make in several minutes.
You can do them a day before for reheating too. Instead of adding bacon try adding chicken meat, beef, or seafood. The other way is grating some vegetables or add some cooked vegetable in to that.
- 8 Eggs
- 1 Cup Finely chopped Spring
- 1 Cup Of Bacon
- Salt and Pepper
- 60ml Milk
- Green chillies (Optional)
- 1/2 Cup Cheese
- Break the Eggs , Salt and Pepper in to a mixing bowl . Whisk well.
- Add the spring onions, Milk, bacon , green chillies and cheese and mix well.
- Pour the mixture in to a greased muffin tray and bake on 180c about 15-20 min.
- Serve Hot.
Chocolate the most famous sweet in the world. You can do so any beautiful creation with chocolates. The main ingredient is cocoa. The cocoa fruits are produced throughout the year. It takes take 4 to 5 months to achieve the pod size, and then yet another month to ripen.The pulp of the fruit is edible, but it is not like Chocolate. It is yellow, slippery and sweet and a bit less dense than an apple and has a flavour of a mango and a lemon mixed together. I have tasted the cocoa a lot as a kid. As kids we didn’t know the value of the seed so we use to suck juice and threw the seed away. Now I know the value and the nutritional information about cocoa. I should have learnt that long time ago. Hmmm……
The Chocolate cakes comes in different ways. The one I have published is the easiest chocolate cake ever. No wonder why its called chocolate heaven cake. To make it more chocolaty you can do a beautiful chocolate ganache on top.
If you are wondering how to do this recipe with plain flour try my recipe video on how to make self raising flour from scratch. Click the link and it will take you there.
- 250ml Milk
- 225g Caster sugar
- 125g Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 30g Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 225g Self Raising flour.
- Add milk, sugar , butter and bicarbonate of soda in to a pot. Stir well.
- Put it on the stove stove. Reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer 3-4 minutes.
- Leave it to cool down.
- Meanwhile beat the three eggs.
- Add self raising flour to the cooled mixture (it should be lukewarm) and mix well.
- After add the beaten eggs and mix well..
- Line a baking tray (18cm) with baking paper and pour the mixture in.
- Bake on 170c about 40 min one hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Do a white or dark chocolate ganache.