Samosa is crispy & a crunchy snack that easily made with ready made shortcrust pastry. The advantage is you can fry or bake the pastry with out a problem. I oven baked these to use as a snack. Filling always can adjust to your taste. meat, fish or vegetables filling really goes well too.
You can freeze them for using back again too. This is for one packet of shortcrust pastry.
Boil about 500 g potatoes peel and mash them. (This step can be done before hand and leave in fridge)
Chop some onions , chillies, and about 1/2 bunch coriander leaves. get ready with a teaspoon full coriander powder, 1 tsp curry powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, and a teaspoon full chilli powder. (Remember all these can be changed to your liking)
Get canned chickpeas or boiled chick peas(I used one can) add enough salt and pepper in to the potatoes.
Add all the other ingredients in to the potatoes and mix well. Get the thawed packet of short crust pastry.
Cut each sheet into four. Get the corners and make a cone. seal well with the finger tips.
Add the filling into the cone. Get the flap and brush with water or eggs .
Seal well and leave on a baking tray if you are going to bake them. If not fry them.
Brush with eggs and bake on 200 c about 30 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
Serve with a chutney or tomato sauce.
Oreo Cookies one of my favourites. I love anything with Oreos. Sometimes I use them for the crust of cheese cakes or with the filling for cakes too. I made these scones for friend who rang to say she will be coming in few hours. Something simple to make for a quick baking too.
With out having the same scone try this one, I am sure you are going to love them. After serving her the leftovers I put in the oven for several minutes(4 minutes), then I switched off the oven and let it be there and it gave a nice cookie. Such a special treat. I love them too. So I served as a cookie for my family after.
- 400g Self raising Flour
- 50g Sugar
- 60g Butter
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 70ml Whipping cream
- Oreo Cookies 1 packet
- Add the flour , and butter in to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- While mixing add the eggs vanilla, cream and sugar and mix well until it comes to a soft dough.
- After add flour on to the bench and knead adding the crushed Oreo cookies.
- After make a round dough
- Cut in to pieces as in video and bake 20 minutes on 180c.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Baked custard is a simple dessert that anyone can try with out failing. I got so many requests to do baked custard with condensed milk. The reason is in Asia condensed milk and the milk powder is popular. But whipping cream is available in leading supermarkets only. (May be now it is different) So condensed milk is used in lots of desserts and sweets. Here I used a new version with less sugar. If you think this is too sweet add another 1/2 cup of milk or add half of the condensed milk.
Baked custard can be done a day before. Leave in fridge until you want. If you want a warm custard pop it in oven for 10 minutes or 1 minute in microwave. Serve with whipped cream.
- 6 Eggs
- 250ml /1 Cup Milk
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 1 can Condensed Milk
- Add milk and condensed milk in to a pot. Bring it to just warm. Stir well.
- After add eggs one by one and whisk well or whisk the eggs and add directly.
- Add nutmeg.
- Strain it in to individual ramekins or a small tray.
- Bake in a water bath about 40 minutes or until when you touch its steady.
- Cool to set.
Tiramisu is a beautifully layered Italian dessert, normally made with raw eggs in and as a custard. I did this with out eggs. One reason is it to give an idea for those who don’t consume eggs.
If you do not like to use liquor please don’t use any at all. Even this tastes beautiful with out eggs and liquor. Instead you can add pure vanilla paste to get more flavour.
All you need to remember is not to soak the cookies longer time. If you dip them longer it can break easily and will not get a nice layers like in my picture. When you leave it over night the flavours go through all the cookies and liquids get absorbed and becomes like at hick slice. I have friends who change the recipe and dip the cookies in drinking chocolate than in coffee. That way it gives a beautiful chocolate flavour to the slice.
Creativity is yours
- 250 Mascarpone
- 3 tbsps. Marsala/Rum (optional)
- 20g cocoa
- Savoiardi Sponge Finger
- 75g Sugar
- 300ml Coffee
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 300ml Whipping Cream
- Whip the cream with sugar until it reaches to the soft peak. Take out.
- In to the same bowl add the mascarpone cheese, vanilla, liquor, several spoons coffee and whisk several minutes.
- After add the whipped cream in to the mixing bowl. Mix well together.
- Dip the cookies in coffee.
- Spread a layer of mascarpone.
- Continue with several layers.
- Finally spread another layer of mascarpone and sprinkle some cocoa or grated chocolate.
- Leave in fridge overnight.
- Cut and serve with more cream or ice cream.
Sri Lankan Fish Pasties
- 250 g Plain flour / or 2 cups of plain flour.
- 115 g Butter (Chilled)
- 60 ml of chilled Water
- 1 can of Mackerel
- 2 boiled & Mashed potatoes
- Onions finely diced
- Curry leaves
- Curry powder
- Chilli powder
- Add butter and plain flour in to a mixing bowl.
- Add a little water make a smooth dough. (nearly 5-10 Min)
- While kneading the dough make the filling.
- Add oil in to a pan & add onion , Chillies and curry leaves.
- Cook 2-3 min until onions are soft.
- Add the spices ,salt and fish and cook it a minute
- Add potatoes and cook another minute.
- And leave it to cool.
- Put the pastry in the fridge for 30 min.
- Then divide the dough in to two equal parts and then each in to a circle.
- Cut the dough in to circles.
- Fill with the filling and press with a fork.
- Deep fry it until golden brown.
- Serve with tomato sauce.
Couscous is the best option when you are in a hurry to make the meal. So easy to make. All you need is to boil some water and add the couscous and wait for 3-4 minutes. Stir fry some veggies and mix the couscous. This tiny pasta is so versatile to have in the pantry.
Couscous can be prepared in many ways. This is one of them. If you are not a vegetarian try adding some meat to the couscous or fish. Couscous salads are popular too. Mushrooms and sun-dried tomato and olives in couscous is a good combination with a good salad dressing.
Mixed Vegetable Couscous
- – 2 Cups of Couscous
- – 2 Cups of Water
- – Olive Oil
- – Salt
- – Pepper
- – 1 Leek
- – 1/2 of a Carrot
- – Capsicum
- – Tomatoes
- – Garlic
- – Onion
- – 2 Stock Cubes
- – Chillies
- – Beans
- Boil water adding salt and oil.
- Switch off and add couscous.
- Leave covered.
- In a another pot add oil and cook onion and garlic.
- Next add chillies and beans and cook that about 2 minutes.
- After add stock cubes and mix well and add beans.
- Next add carrots.
- Add cabbage after and cook few seconds.
- Next add sundried tomatoes and add the capsicums.
- Cook few seconds and add enough salt and pepper.
- Mix couscous and serve hot.
This recipe was given by one of my good friends. When I was reading the recipe ingredients I did a huge mistake. I never thought that this recipe will be a huge success. Instead of 610g I have said 110g. My apologies for the mistake.
Please use 610g bread flour for the dough.
This bread is a very soft Asian bakery style bread. If you follow all the steps its so easy to make. Can do several adjustments. If you don’t like sweet bread you can always adjust the sugar level up to 20g. Nothing will happen to the bread. If you cant find or dislike milk powder add 50g flour instead of milk powder. Changing that step will do no harm to the recipe.
If you have plenty of time for baking reduce the yeast to 12grams. Instead of whipping cream add melted butter. Even if you have an allergy to milk or lactose free add water instead of milk. The bread still comes the same way as in the picture.
When making bread all you want to be is patient. Kneading is the other major thing in bread making. Even if you hand knead or even use a machine the process have to be rhythmic and about 20 minutes at least with out stopping. So that way the bread becomes soft and fluffy.
Making the roux is the other major thing. There few different ways of doing it. The correct way is adding water and flour in to a pot. Stir well and cook on the stove until thick. The other way is adding boiling water to the flour and mix well. before I used to leave the roux covered and in fridge. Now I add it after an hour. Both ways it does the same job.
Please try different alterations and make your own with different flavours. Try adding a banana or coconut for a variation.
This stays 3 days out or you can freeze for future use.
Home made Milk Bread (Very Soft & Easy)
- 610g Bread flour
- 120 g Sugar
- 20g Yeast
- 50 g Milk Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 100g whipping cream
- 6g Salt
For the roux
- 1 cup of water.
- 1/3 cup Bread Flour
- Make the roux. Add four to the water and cook several minutes until it becomes thick.
- Leave it to cool.
- Add all the ingredients in to the mixing bowl except milk.
- Add the prepared roux in to that.
- Start kneading adding milk little by little.
- Knead the dough for 15 minutes.
- After kneading cover it with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place to double in size.
- Punch down the dough and cut in to 6 equal size pieces.
- Then spread the dough take one corner to the other and overlap it.
- Reapeat the same process.
- Then roll it from one corner to the other.
- Then put them on a prepared loaf pan to prove till double in size.
- When it is double in size egg wash.
- Bake on 180 about 30 -40 min.
Fish rolls or Chinese rolls are one of the finger food that available in Sri Lanka. Its so simple to make . The advantage is you can make a larger batch and freeze them for future use. But… remember to thaw completely before frying them. If not that can split in oil. Instead of fish you can add any filling.
This recipe is given by one of my good friend who had a restaurant in Melbourne for long time several years before. She said to me “try this method and you will be amazed to get the results”. Actually it is true. The batter is so silky. Leaving the batter after adding butter in fridge for several hours or overnight it gives this miracle texture to the pancakes. Its really hard to find people who gives the correct recipes. She said ” I don’t want to keep it to my self” “I like what you are doing, Give them this recipe too” I am really proud to have a friend like that who has the same wish as me.
When you buy fish rolls you have no idea whats in it and how they made it. Try these simple method and you can get 25 rolls out from this. (It depends on the pan you are doing the pancakes). When we buy food we know that we are spending too much money on labour than the food it self. Your children will love to have something like this in their lunch boxes once in a while. I know most of the kids refuses vegetables. Grate everything and stir fry with the filling. because of the crunchy and tasty out side they will eat anything in it. I did that most of the time for my kids.
If you like this in the oven than deep frying add a bit more butter (Doubling the amount of butter in the batter) in to it. The other way is crumbing the rolls with panko crumbs and spraying oil well before baking. Don’t expect the same results as frying anyway. But it is much healthier.
For the batter
- 450g Flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Turmeric powder
- 3 Eggs
- 450ml water
- 50g butter melted
For the filling
- 4 Boiled potatoes mashed
- 2 cans mackerel
- 1/2 of an onion
- 1 tsp Curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Curry leaves
- Green Chillies (optional)
- Pepper & Salt
- Oil for stir frying
For the covering
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups water
- Pinch turmeric powder
For the coating
- Bread crumbs
Oil for frying
- Add flour, water, eggs, salt, turmeric powder and mix well. If it is thick add more water and make it to thin batter. ( Just like the pancake batter)
- After add the melted butter and mix well. Leave to rest several hours in fridge.(or leave overnight)
- Meanwhile make the filling by adding some oil in to a pan. Fry the onion, garlic curry leaves and all the spices.
- Next add the mackerel and fry well.
- Take out and add mashed potato and leave to cool down.
- Make the thin batter for coating by adding the flour, enough water, turmeric and salt. Leave aside.
- Put the bread crumbs in to a plate so you can roll the rolls well.
- Make the pan cake after seasoning the pan.
- Put the filling in the middle and roll as directed in the video.
- Dip in the second thin batter and coat with bread crumbs.
- Make all before start frying.
- Put oil to heat and fry the rolls until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with tomato sauce or chilli sauce.