Sago is very popular in Asian countries. We do it in different ways. Sago in coconut milk is very nice. It soothes your body. So simple to make. With lots of coconut milk makes it very creamier in taste. If you can use the freshly squeezed coconut milk it tastes much better than caned milk. Canned coconut milk has a different flavour when compare to the fresh coconut milk.Some times I use coconut milk powder. Its still better than the ones in cans.
We always wash sago several times. After ad water to soak the sago. This process makes the coking easier. It absorbs all the water and plumps up.
Instead of brown sugar Sri Lankans add palm treacle in to it to get more taste. Then it looks nice and colourful. you can add maple syrup, Manuka honey or bees honey instead.
when we had sore throat or pimples my mum used to cook this with coconut milk to cools down our bodies. We loved the sago always. I like hot sago than the chilled. I feel when you chill the sago you get less flavour than the hot dessert.
This recipe is completely vegan and vegetarian too. If you don’t like coconut milk add almond or rice milk instead.
if you like to serve sago as a dessert add a bit more coconut milk and make it thinner. Its very common to see street vendors selling sago drinks in busy streets of Sri Lanka.
Tapioca or sago is very popular in Asian countries as well as in other countries. Tapioca can be cooked in many ways. Baked sago or tapioca taste much better and you will not believe that its made of sago when you start eating.
Tapioca is a starch extracted from cassava (Manioc) root. It is gluten free and so its becoming more popular. To get tapioca powder they squeeze the liquid out and make it to a powder. Its available as tapioca flour good for baking too. Its used as thickener for soups as it has a neutral flavour.
When you do this make sure to soak the pearls before 1 hour at least. If you are using the very large pearls needs over night soaking. instead using liquor in this recipe you can totally omit it or can use a kind of fruit juice instead. Try doing this in different ways adding fresh fruits instead of dry or instead of milk add coconut milk. When I was doing the video I have done wrong with the number of eggs. It is 2 egg yolks and 3 eggs. I mistakenly added the yolk in to it. So sorry. Things happen hah ha….
I made this and I hd one after the video. Its so good. I wanted a second one next day. Nothing was there when I came home after wrk. All gone. This a simple dessert that you can make to please a crowd. Its so cheap to make too. The advantage is you can do it the day before and serve cold too.
- 700 ml Milk
- 70g Raisins
- 70 ml Rum/ Brandy or Apple juice
- 140g Tapioca pearls
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Egg yolks
- 200g Sugar
- 100g Custard powder
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 50g Butter
- Preheat oven to 180c .
- Soak Tapioca /sago pearls one hour before making.
- Drain well.
- Boil Milk in a pot.
- Add Tapioca peals in to it and stir it until it plumps up.
- Meanwhile add egg yolks and eggs in to a mixing bowl and whisk well.
- Add custard powder and vanilla in to it and whisk well about 2 minutes.
- Add rum and raisins in to the cooked tapioca (make sure to leave half of the raisins for decoration) and stir well.
- After add the prepared egg mix in to the cooked tapioca or sago mix and stir well.
- Cook it again while stirring.
- When it starts thickening take out and pour in to prepared individual moulds or a tray.
- Put the moulds in a water bath and bake about 20-30 min.
- Serve hot or leave in fridge to serve cold.
- Pouring cream or ice cream goes well with this dessert.