This is a simple salad a friend of mine made recently. While having it I copycat the recipe to share it with you all. It was slightly crunnchy and also had lots of flavours. You can make it to be sweet and spicy too.
This cauliflower salad can be served cold or just after the prep.
This recipe will serve 4-6 people.
Get one cauliflower head and cut in to florests. Blanch it in hot salted for few seconds to add some extra flavours. Stir fry some nuts to your liking until roasted. I used roasted pinenuts for this.
Other than that I used about 1/2 bunch chopped fresh parsley, one small red onion finely sliced, some red chillies sliced. Get some fresh sultana, salt &pepper, seveal squeezes of honey, and lemon juice to the taste.
In to a bowl add the chopped ingredients with slat, pepper,and honey. Chop the cauliflower in to small fine pieces and and put in to the bowl.
Later add the lemon juice.Then add the nuts. Mix well.
Leave in fridge. or serve as it is.
This is one of my favourite salads.I make this at least 2-3 times a month. If you do a big batch you can always keep in fridge to take as your lunch or microwave and have it warm for dinner.
If you want the barley water you can strain it while cooking before adding oil or salt. This can be served as a budget family friendly meal. If you want meat to go with it feel free to add some left over from a roast or some steamed or boiled meat in it.
I have so many vegetarian and vegan followers and I thought of uploading this specially for them.
Instead of having lemon and pepper add a a salad dressing to your liking. I normally add parsley in it. But when I did this I haven’t had any in my garden or in fridge. Be creative & Add other vegetables to it and make more nourishing let me know your ideas too. then I can try them too. ????
Serve warm or can refrigerate 3-4 days.
Home Made Chicken Salad Rolls
- 300g Bread flour
- 75g Plain flour
- 5g Instant dry yeast
- 5g Salt
- 1 Egg
- 40g Butter
- 20g Sugar
- 150ml warm water.
- Chicken brest sliced in an angle or tenderloins
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Egg
- Bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Marinate the chicken with salt ,Pepper and vinegar.
- Egg wash and crumb them.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- Leave aside.
- Add the flours,egg,yeast,salt,sugar and mix 2 min.
- After add water and knead 5 min.Then add butter and continue kneading for 25min.
- Leave the prepared dough in a greased bowl and leave in a warm place until double in size.
- When the dough is ready add flour on to the bench and knead 2 min on the bench until you find its not sticky at all.
- Then cut the dough in to equal size pieces.
- Roll each piece to a rectangular or an oval shape and roll as instructed in the video.
- Leave to double in size in a warm place.
- When ready brush the tops with eggs and bake on 180c about 15-20 min or until golden brown.
- Fill with chicken and salad ingredients.
Gotukola has been used in Asian countries for thousand years. Its used in herbal medicine due to its healing power for so many illnesses.There are many types of gotukola available in Sri Lanka. the one with small leaves leaves believed to be the best. When I was a kid i had hay fever and a monk asked my parents to bring him 5 ponds dried gotukola stems. It was a big task to make 5 pounds. Any how when we supplied he made a powder and I had to have it for an year every morning. I was completely got cured. So i always trust this as the best herb.
Sri Lankans use gotukola as a green to accompany their rice dishes. Gotukola d can be cooked in many ways. Salad is very popular than all the other ways. So simple and easy to make with several ingredients. I will write about the other ways of cooking gotukola in near future. I have a small patch of gotukola in my back yard even in Australia.
- 1 Bunch gotukola cleaned and washed
- 1/2 cup of fresh coconut
- 1 salad onion finely sliced
- Several green chillies sliced
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp. lime juice.