I always like to do different styles of baking. Always I try to improve the dough in each recipe. This is one of them. The bread comes so nice and fluffy. So the texture of this bread scroll is very soft and moist too.
The filling can be done in different ways.You can use the sliced meat or shredded meat from the deli with cheese slices. (Thats the easiest) If not you can use the left overs from the Sunday roast or can prepare them on your own. Make sure not to have a liquids. Then the bread will go soggy underneath. Even the cheese will do this to the bread if you use a very fatty version of cheese. I used the proceed cheese because of that.
As I always mention, when adding water do not add once. When using eggs for a recipe, make sure to add a little at once. Then wait and add a bit more. This way the dough will comes soft and pliable.
Always leave space in between the scrolls to prove. I used a 12x 4 inch pan for this recipe. If you are living in a cooler climate make sure to preheat oven to 25-30c and leave the dough in the oven. That way it helps to prove quickly.
- 400g Bread flour
- 2 Eggs
- 10g instant dry yeast
- 5g Salt
- 10g Sugar
- 200-250ml water
- 1 egg for the scrolls
- Salt and pepper
- Another egg for egg wash
- Sliced or shredded cheese
- Any meat as you wish
- Add the bread flour, yeast, salt, sugar, and the eggs in to a mixing bowl.
- Then mix it well.
- After add the water little by little until it makes a smooth dough and keep on kneading for 15-20 minutes.
- Take out and put in to greased bowl , cover and leave in a warm place to double in size.
- When the dough is doubled in size take out and punch down.
- After put the dough on to a floured bench and knead a minute or two adding a bit more flour to get to the consistency you like.
- After roll the dough to a large rectangle.
- Beat one egg with salt and pepper and brush it on the dough.
- Season with anything you wish.
- Lay the cheese and the meat. (Read the description above)
- Roll the dough pressing inwards. (This way it tightens)
- Cut to the size you like.
- Leave to double in size.
- Brush the top with the remaining egg and bake on 180c about 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
This is an any time snack. Its really easy to make and can serve as a finger food or even for a meal. Left overs always can go to the freezer.
Instead of chicken can use vegetables or other types of meats.
- 450g Bread flour
- 1 Tblsp sugar
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 7g Instant dry yeast
- Pinch of Salt
- 60g Curd or greek style yoghurt
- 50ml Olive oil
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 125ml water (Warm)
- 500g Minced chicken
- 3 tomatoes sliced.
- Garlic and onion powder
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend
- 1 tblsp Taco seasoning
- Add flour, sugar, yeast & salt. mix well.
- Next add greek style yoghurt, oil, sesame seeds (1/2 of the sesame) & Baking powder.
- Add water little by little and make a smooth dough.
- After leave the prepared dough in a warm place to double in size.
- Meanwhile make the filling.
- Add oil and cooke the minced chicken in a pot
- When its half cooked add chopped parsley, taco seasoning and cook well. (Until all the liquid evaporates)
- Leave the filling to cool down.
- Take the doubled dough and punch down.
- Put that on to the bench.
- knead and cut the dough in to two equal parts.
- Roll the dough pieces to rectangular shapes.
- Spread the cooked chicken & cheese on the rolled dough and roll from one end to the other as shown in the video.
- Cut in to pieces and leave on a baking tray. Sprinkle more cheese and bake on 180c about 20-30 min or until golden brown on top.