I love to have a piece of cake when ever I have a coffee or tea. Banana bread is my favourite. Whenyou bake a banana bread or a cake the house smells like a bakery and even the next door neighbour will get the smell.
This cake is rich , soft and moist too. you canm leave the bread 3-4 days out in room temperature (I dont think you will keep that long 🙂 ) or about a week in fridge or you can freeze them for future use. I recommend you to slice the cake and leave individual pieces in fridge for easy thawing.
This recipe is for a large banana cake. You can divide the ingredients by two to a smaller loaf.
If like to find more banana bread or cake recipes click here or visit the baking section on the side of the page.
The ingredients you will neeed , 200g Butter in room temperature, 350 g Sugar, 4 Eggs, 2tsp vanilla, 400g plain flour, 2 Tsp Bicarbonate of soda, salt, 150 g Sour cream and 4 well riped banans.
Make sure to gather everything closer to you.
Add sugar and butter in to a mixing bowl and whisk well.
After add the eggs one by one and whisk well.
Add the bananas while whisking on a low speed.
Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk on a low speed first and then whisk on a high speed for one minute.
Add the prepared mix in to a loaf pan and bake on 180 c about 45 minutes to one hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.( The baking tray I used is 12 inch x 4 inch loaf pan) Leave the bread in the loaf pan for 5 minutes. After take out from the tray and leave on a wire rack to cool completely.
This is how it looks when taken out from the tray.
It is like a sponge. Once press it comes back to the shape.
This is how it looks when sliced.
A closer picture of the cake. Bon Apetit!
I used to do baklava always for functions as in a tray and cut in to diamond shaped tiles. Recently a work colleague brought baklava rolls. She has done a big batch for Ramadan. So I asked so many questions from her about the rolling pin that they use to make these beautiful rolls.
One day I went to Bunnings and got this roller and asked them to cut it for me. Using that I made these rolls for a friends retirement party.
For this recipe you will need 200 g pistachios with a cup of sugar to mix in. You need 250 grams butter too. Mix sugar and the crushed pistachios together.
The same time need another 1 cup sugar with 1 1/2 cup of water. Add the sugar in to a pot and add the water in to it and leave aside.
Melt the butter and get the rolling pin and a packet of filo pastry. Take one sheet out and cover the leftovers with a damp cloth.
Slightly butter the filo. Sprinkle the crushed pistachios on it.
Put the rolling pin on the corner and slightly roll it. Make sure not to give too much pressure.
Lay another pastry and brush butter only and roll with the rolled pastry with nuts.
After pressure from both ends and squeeze the sheets. Lay them on a baking tray.
Brush the rolls with butter And bake on 180 c about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Meanwhile put the pot with sugar on the stove and add about a table spoon full lime or lemon juice.
Take the baked rolls, cut while hot to the desired size and pour the hot syrup onto the hot rolls and leave to absorb all the syrup. Leaving overnight is the best.
Serve with a cup of coffee.
I am writing this for 100s of messages I got, requesting this cake. It is really hard to get the correct recipe from someone who knows it as they are keeping the secrets to them selves. So I thought of unveiling the secrets of this recipe. So I have to expect more dislikes on my video. I really don’t worry about that at all. Hah ha……Special thanks to my beautiful friend Shehani who gave me so many instructions to do this exactly correct.
Sri Lankan wedding cake is a very rich cake. This can be done for Christmas as a Christmas cake too. The secret of the taste is the maturing process. You can do this without maturing the cake for months too. But the beautiful colours and rich taste comes from the correct process.
If you want to start your own business try doing this. Even you can do it for your own wedding and can save a lot of money. All you need is to start it as early as possible and get the help from friends and the family.
So now I am going to describe all the the things that you need to know. So read carefully to get it right. First you need to cut the fruits very finely and need to mature several months. make sure to doit right with out mixing any water. Rose essence is very strong. So when you add it make sure to add several teaspoons only. But the rose water and flavour is not very strong. So you can add up to a wine glass. Instead of brandy you can add sweet sherry or even rum. But brandy add the strong flavour to the wedding cake. And it helps to preserve it for a longer time.
When Baking it takes a longer time. Depending on how thick your cake is. So always keep an eye on it after 2 hours of baking. If you don’t have a large tray like the one I am using Use several trays. I only did a small amount of icing just to show you how to do it. I have done cashew pate in one video before. Click on the link and get it. You can multiply the icing to the amount you wish. I did that for about 500g piece of cake. This whole cake weighs 6.2 kilograms. So you need to multiply it in 14. You can cut more than 150 pieces. Always depends on the size of the cake. Enjoy baking. Don’t forget to leave a feed back after you try.
This recipe is 100% guaranteed.
For the first part
- 400g Currants
- 400g Pumpkin preserve
- 400g Sultana
- 400g Raisins
- 250g Cashew
- 1 bottle preserved Ginger
- 1 bottle preserved chow chow
- 1 bottle preserved Pumpkin
- 1 bottle preserved candid peel
- 1 wine glass full brandy
- Rose essence or rose water
- 1 tbsp.. All spice
- 1 wine glass full bees honey
For the second part
- 10 egg whites
- 20 Egg yolks
- 500g Butter
- 250g Semolina
- 250g Caster sugar
- 250g icing sugar
- Golden syrup
- The matured fruit mix done before
For the almond paste…
- 100g Cashew finely ground
- 100g icing sugar
- Sugar syrup
- 1/4 tsp almond essence
- 1/4 tsp rose water
- Cut all the fruits and nuts very finely.
- Add brandy in to the fruit.
- Add all the syrup from the preserved fruits.
- Next add vanilla and rose water with the spices.
- After add the bees honey and stir well.
- Close tightly and leave in a dark place about 3 months.
- Beat the egg white with half of the caster sugar until the soft peak.
- Add e table spoon full butter in to the semolina and dry Roast the semolina until golden brown.
- Add butter and left over sugar with the confectionary sugar and whisk until creamy.
- Add egg yolks one by one and whisk until pale in colour.
- Add egg mix in to the fruit mix.
- Next add the semolina and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 130c.
- Prepare a large cake pan with several layers of baking paper.
- Pour the mix in.
- Bake about 3-4 hours.
- Leave to cool completely in the tray.
- Prick the cake & Pour about 1/4 cup of brandy over the cake.
- At this point if you like to break at once break and put in to a container.
- Cover well. And leave to mature. If you like wet the cake once a month with brandy.
- Break the cake or slice the cake to the desired size pieces.
- Press on to the prepared tray.
- Add the cashew meal and icing sugar, syrup and almond and rose essence in to a mix well.
- Keep on kneading until all combines.
- After add some icing sugar on to the bench and knead well. And using a rolling pin roll the paste thin as you can.
- Sprinkle some cashew meal on top of the cake.
- After put it on the pressed cake.
- Cut to the size you wish.
- Wrap in oil paper and next in cellophane.
- Ready to serve. Can keep about year or more.