Fresh apples are better in cakes than the canned apples. I got many requests for fresh fruit cakes and thought of doing this fresh apple cake for them. I used Granny smith apples for this cake. You can use any apple variety of apples for this cake.
Try cutting the apples to thick slices to avoid releasing much liquid to the cake. This Can be served as a dessert or even to go with a coffee. If you like more fruit cakes look in the fruit cake section.
Tiramisu is a beautifully layered Italian dessert, normally made with raw eggs in and as a custard. I did this with out eggs. One reason is it to give an idea for those who don’t consume eggs.
If you do not like to use liquor please don’t use any at all. Even this tastes beautiful with out eggs and liquor. Instead you can add pure vanilla paste to get more flavour.
All you need to remember is not to soak the cookies longer time. If you dip them longer it can break easily and will not get a nice layers like in my picture. When you leave it over night the flavours go through all the cookies and liquids get absorbed and becomes like at hick slice. I have friends who change the recipe and dip the cookies in drinking chocolate than in coffee. That way it gives a beautiful chocolate flavour to the slice.
Creativity is yours
- 250 Mascarpone
- 3 tbsps. Marsala/Rum (optional)
- 20g cocoa
- Savoiardi Sponge Finger
- 75g Sugar
- 300ml Coffee
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 300ml Whipping Cream
- Whip the cream with sugar until it reaches to the soft peak. Take out.
- In to the same bowl add the mascarpone cheese, vanilla, liquor, several spoons coffee and whisk several minutes.
- After add the whipped cream in to the mixing bowl. Mix well together.
- Dip the cookies in coffee.
- Spread a layer of mascarpone.
- Continue with several layers.
- Finally spread another layer of mascarpone and sprinkle some cocoa or grated chocolate.
- Leave in fridge overnight.
- Cut and serve with more cream or ice cream.
Making vanilla custard slice is really simple and easy. its only three main steps. Baking the pastry , making the custard and spreading the icing. Most of us think that its a really difficult in making this slice. When you beak the steps in to 3 main you can realise how easy this slice is.
You can double the amount of custard if you like your slice very high and thick. If you like it with out gelatine try adding 1/2 cup of corn flour in to the mix. It will thicken the custard just like the gelatine.
You can always omit the last step if you don’t like to consume lot of sugar. Just sprinkle some icing sugar on top.
I really like the vanilla slice. I always like to have two. Such a nice delicate sweet for a special function or for an afternoon tea.
- 800ml Milk
- 80g Custard Powder
- 240ml Whipping/ thickened cream
- 130g Sugar
- 15-20g Gelatine powder
- 80ml water
- 2 pastry sheets
- 1 egg for brushing the pastry.
- 60ml passionfruit pulp
- 250g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 220c.
- Brush the pastry sheets with eggs.
- Bake for 8-10min until golden brown & leave to cool.
- Add Milk , sugar and cream into a pot and whisk well.
- After add the custard powder and vanilla and whisk until no lumps.
- Put it on the stove and cook until it thickens.
- Dissolve the gelatine in the water and microwave until gelatine melts.
- Add the gelatine in to the custard and whisk well.
- Lay the pastry on a tray.
- Pour the custard over.
- Cover with the other pastry.
- Leave in fridge over night.
- The next day whisk icing adding passion fruit pulp spoon by spoon.
- When it comes to a spreadable consistency spread it on and sprinkle some icing on top.
- Leave in fridge to set.
- Cut in to slices as you wish.
This almond cake is the most beautiful cake ever. So simple to make. Needs only several ingredients. Following the recipe is so easy. I wrote it in few steps. Its only a bit of flour , & the rest is almond meal. It taste awesome & look gorgeous. When I make this I cant stop eating. It is that nice. Try once, It will become your favourite recipe forever.
It stays about 3-4 days out in an air tight container and can freeze about 3 months. Can leave about 7 days in fridge. All I know is that’s not going to stay longer. 🙂
The finer almond meal the best. But still you can use the coarse one too. If you like the ground whole almonds it will be nice too. Butter has to be in room temperature too.
Recently I read an article the benifits of almonds. Almonds help to reduce the cholesterol in the body as well as supply lots of fibre and fills you quickly when you take almond as a snack or in meals. It has lots of magnesium to help muscle functioning and also help to support healthy brain function and also good skin health. Not only that it maintains blood sugar levels and also helps weight loss. How good is that. 🙂
- 225g Butter
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 60g Self Raising flour
- 4 Eggs
- 225g Ground almond/ Almond flour
- Beat butter and sugar with vanilla until pale in colour.
- Add eggs one by one and whisk 2 minutes.
- Next add almond meal and mix well.
- Pour in to a pan and bake 0n 180c about 40 min- I hour.
- Leave on a wire rack to cool down.